Blown render on Door reveal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm going to replace the old Timber front door with UPVC. The house is Timber Framed with Block outer sheathing that has been dry dashed. Checking the Sand Cement render on the door reveals I notice that its sounding hollow in places ( Blown ) I'm guessing that this may well need to be replaced when the new door is fitted. I don't think I would be able to just patch any render that is loose and get a good match with existing. I have never done any rendering before and would like to know the best way to do this.
1) Do I need to remove existing render down to the block wall or down to existing scratch coat ( if there is one )
2) Do I PVA the substrate prior to applying any render
3) How do I keep a clean sharp edge on the corner where the render meets the dry Dash ( both when removing old and applying new render, and also keep a sharp line where the render meets the new door
4) What mix is best. 3-1 or 4-1 and should it be Sharp sand. Any additives ?

If any of you guys could give a kinda Janet & John explanation of how you would do this It would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• Front Door render.jpg
    Front Door render.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back