Blown socket - advice please

The iron is an 1800w iron and the fuse in the iron plug was 13a - here is the inside of the iron plug.

Image0137640x480.jpg

Only just seen picture of inside of adaptor and it seems adaptor was illegal import and both faulty and bad design.
If you know where it came from the trading standards should be informed as it is extremely dangerous.

I bought it from Home Bargains which despite the name is not a £shop type place - it normally sells high quality items, just at bargain prices.

Sponsored Links
ericmark, contrary to your "60's book of home appliances", most irons these days are around the 2kw mark.

The adaptor needs binning as likely now lost some of the grip and could cause a repeat of the fault. In theory these adaptors should fuse all outlets but in practice many don't comply with British regulations and only fuse some of the outlets.
I was under the impression that double adaptors were not required to be fused only triple and higher ones.

I've only ever seen one fused double adaptor (and that is a really old one, go figure)

Today I bought myself a new iron (well, a girls got to treat herself ;) ) and this extension thingy - it has a 13a fuse in. Is this type safe?

Image0142640x480.jpg

Sponsored Links
best practice is to plug the iron dirrectly into the wall socket.

And use a trailing extension for the router and phone.
Trouble is the route & phone black plugs may well be too heavy for that thing you bought.

You have purchased ,in my opinion, a poorly designed multi-way adaptor.
That design could still cause problems by way of putting pressure on its plug when the the heavy router and telephone plugs are plugged into the unit.
You require the type of multi-way adaptor that has a flexible lead between it and its plug,,[ hence the phrase--Trailing Lead ]

Alternatively you could contact an Electrician and ask him/her to replace the existing double socket in the wall for a fixed multi-way [4-way perhaps [..
...They are known as convertor sockets and conveniently increase the number of outlets available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back