Legal or Not Legal Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question, but I have a socket with my cordless phone plugged in which is basically a fancy extension lead. I.e. its a 2 gang switched socket with 2.5 t&e cable running to another socket, but rather than being permanently wired, as in a spur, it has a 13a plug on the end - it can just be plugged and unplugged.

Is this legal or should I get it wired in properly - i don't think theres any over loading worry as its only a laptop and cordless phone every used in the socket.

Sponsored Links
t & e is for fixed wiring, so any extension lead should be made of flex

well the only relavent law is part P and i can't see how this would fail its rediculously short technical requirements. It does i belive violate BS7671 but that is not law just guidence from the IEE.

Use of T&E for portable stuff is not reccomened because it can break with repeated bending but if the plug is always left in i can't really see why it would create any problems.

in other words its not urgent to deal with but sometime you should probablly wire it in properly (after checking the socket is on a ring first), as long as its not in a kitchen this work is not notifiable.

as my late father used to say "There is nothing so permanent as a temporay job"

get a proper extension lead you know its what you want to do

Sponsored Links
It was initially going to be a spur, but for some reason it was never finished and a plug ended up on the end.

The main reason was so the computer could be switched off and the phone left on. And like Breezer said, it was done temporary and never finished. A job to look at this autumn I think.

plugwash said:
well the only relavent law is part P and i can't see how this would fail its rediculously short technical requirements. It does i belive violate BS7671 but that is not law just guidence from the IEE.

Use of T&E for portable stuff is not reccomened because it can break with repeated bending but if the plug is always left in i can't really see why it would create any problems..
And the cable grip in plugs is not designed for T/E.

And the bends needed to get the cores into the plug terminals will be tighter than the minimum.

As flex is not an expensive or esoteric item, it is not reasonable to have used an inappropriate cable, so it is arguable that P1 has been contravened, and therefore the installation is illegal. If it was done after 2004.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back