Add sockets to desk?

N

NewFolder

I currently have a 6 socket switched extension lead as a solution for power to my computer desk. However, while 6 sockets was enough a while ago, its becoming increasingly difficult to accommodate all of my equipment without having to unplug things now.

I was looking to buy a 10 socket switched extension lead, but I'm having difficulty finding such a product. I can find 10 socket unswitched extension leads, and 8 socket switched, but I need at least 10 sockets and switched sockets.

For this reason, I was wondering whether it would be possible (and safe!) to attach 5-6 double sockets to the desk, or perhaps a board behind the desk, and spur them off each other, and wire the first socket to a plug, so that I could unplug the sockets if I ever needed to move them.

I'm aware that you're not supposed to spur more than one socket off another one, but these sockets will be mostly used for things like external hard drives, phone chargers, and USB hubs, using a few milliamps each. The highest load from it would probably be a 16" fan which draws about 40 watts on full speed. As added protection in case anyone plugs a hoover into one of the sockets, I'd consider using a 3 amp fuse to protect the entire 'circuit'.

Would this be possible, safe and legal?

Sponsored Links
Not worth the bother and will look awful.

Get another extension lead.

Thank you for the reply, I'll go and get a second extension lead, it's a lot easier.

Is it safe to plug an two extension leads into another extension lead as long as the total load is kept below 3kW? (it will be well below this, worst case scenario is around 1kW with the appliances that will be used)

Is it safe to plug an two extension leads into another extension lead as long as the total load is kept below 3kW? (it will be well below this, worst case scenario is around 1kW with the appliances that will be used)

Of course it is. They're all fused anyway, so there's no risk of overloading.

Sponsored Links
They're all fused anyway, so there's no risk of overloading.
http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/use...safety/Extension-lead-test-report.pdf[/QUOTE]

That's quite scary, I actually have one of the leads tested in that report, sample number 8. However, the test mentions two loads of over 10 amps, were those done separately or concurrently for a total load of 20 amps? Either way, the extension lead does not have anywhere near either of them going through it, as it only has a cordless phone, modem and Sky+HD box plugged into it.

And surely if the plug got hot enough to cause that amount of damage, I'd be able to feel the plug/cable getting a bit warm, right?

Is that report supposed to have been redacted? :LOL:

Also, some of the samples were old, used items. Who's to say that they hadn't had the plugs replaced, badly and/or with old dodgy ones?

So the news is that because a 13A BS 1362 will pass 20A for long periods, possibly forever, plugs overheat when asked to carry that load, and it is perfectly possible to overload a multi-way strip to that extent.

They do all tell you though (AFAIK) that the maximum load is not to exceed 13A, so if you misuse something who is to blame for damage which results?

Is that report supposed to have been redacted? :LOL:

Also, some of the samples were old, used items. Who's to say that they hadn't had the plugs replaced, badly and/or with old dodgy ones?

So the news is that because a 13A BS 1362 will pass 20A for long periods, possibly forever, plugs overheat when asked to carry that load, and it is perfectly possible to overload a multi-way strip to that extent.

They do all tell you though (AFAIK) that the maximum load is not to exceed 13A, so if you misuse something who is to blame for damage which results?

I know it's the user's fault for neglecting it that badly to allow such an overload, but would it be possible for something to draw that sort of current if a fault develops though, e.g. a short circuit? Also, I suppose you can't really trust others to not realise the dangers of overloading a socket like that.

If a 13A fuse will allow 20A (or more?) through it without operating for a long time, how much would a 3A fuse allow through it? Is there a certain percentage that they can exceed to meet the BS1362 requirements or something?

Just getting a bit concerned as this room has (currently) 24 sockets from a total of 2 single sockets, from extension leads chained together. One socket has a 6 socket surge protector, with two 4 socket extensions plugged in. The other has a 4 socket surge protector, currently with one 6 socket lead plugged in, and I'm planning on adding another 6 socket lead to this one.

It doesn't sound great, but it's only very low current stuff, mostly stuff like phone chargers and hard drives, stuff that uses literally a few milliamps. The largest things are a laser printer and a computer, and these are both plugged into the separate sockets.

would it be possible for something to draw that sort of current if a fault develops though, e.g. a short circuit?
A fault like that will blow the fuse almost immediately, before any damage is done.

If a 13A fuse will allow 20A (or more?) through it without operating for a long time, how much would a 3A fuse allow through it? Is there a certain percentage that they can exceed to meet the BS1362 requirements or something?
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Fuse#Mains_Plug_Fuses

It doesn't sound great, but it's only very low current stuff, mostly stuff like phone chargers and hard drives, stuff that uses literally a few milliamps. The largest things are a laser printer and a computer, and these are both plugged into the separate sockets.
Should be OK for low loads like that.

For this reason, I was wondering whether it would be possible (and safe!) to attach 5-6 double sockets to the desk, or perhaps a board behind the desk, and spur them off each other, and wire the first socket to a plug, so that I could unplug the sockets if I ever needed to move them.
Nothing wrong with it electrically just make sure you do something to secure the incoming flex (I use compression glands myself) so that the terminations don't get stressed if something pulls on it.

from an extension lead, inside looks much worse

Any idea what sort of load was going through the lead to cause that?

More than 13a for definite. I think there was a 2kw electric blanket, laptop, hair straighteners, phone charger & a desk lamp.

Gonna take a punt and blame it on the electric blanket (who still uses those?!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back