Extension Leads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please forgive me for asking a simple question but I know nothing about electrics.
I have a room in my house which only has 2 wall sockets.
From one of the sockets I have a 4 way extension lead to which I have a PC, monitor, printer and PC speakers plugged in.
What I also have in my room is a desk/table to which I am going to put 2 turntables, mixer, amp and tape recorder. The table for the hi fi stuff is at the other side of the room and there are no wall sockets nearby.
Will I be ok and safe to run an extension lead from the free wall socket on the other side of the room and then plug a 6 way adapter into the other end of the extension lead thus being able to power the hi fi equipment?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Simple question are easy, its the hard ones we struggle with!

This should be ok as long as you don't exceed the fuse rating of the extension and judging from what you have said, you are not.

Do I need to look out for anything in particular then on the extension lead and 6-way then? All the hi fi components have normal 13 amp plugs on them if that helps.

Thanks again for you help and speedy reply!

No, most extensions are fitted with a 13amp fuse and it is very unlikely that your turntables and amp are going to exceed that.

On the Health and Saftey aspect, beware of trailing cables.

Sponsored Links
Oh believe me, the missus will not be happy with trailing cables so it'll all have to be neatly hidden!!

So just to confirm, its ok to daisy chain a 6-way adapter off an extension lead plugged into the wall?

Yes, but don't put it under the carpet/rug, it can get damaged and not be noticed, if you want to keep it neat, all I can suggest is mini trunking along the top of the skirting board

OK cool, thanks for all the speedy and extremely helpful advice.
Much appreciated!

You think you got it bad? I have all my computer setup on one socket.

comp
monitor
printer
scanner
digi camera charger
light
neon light clock
usb hub
adsl router
ethernet hub
speakers

thank goodness we can daisychain 4-way sockets eh ;)

And its not a mess either! just put a strip of chunky trunking along the back of the desk where the sockets are fastened. And im probably only drawing 4 amps, if that, even with all this running.

Crafty
I am in the proccess of redoing my wiring and have decided to install a separate ring for the office and add it to the non-RCD side.
As the office is above the garage, and I have no.2 fridge and freezer out there, I am running a spur to power them. But because they could be used for outside appliances, they will be round pin 15A plugs and on a fused spur. Office will have dado trunking along one wall.
Proper job!

Just a general interest question, what causes computers to have a high earth leakage current? Possibly filters?

crafty1289 said:

comp
monitor
printer
scanner
digi camera charger
light
neon light clock
usb hub
adsl router
ethernet hub
speakers

hmmm... i have:

TV
Sky
comp UPS
UPS external battery charger
laser printer
fan
PDA charger
computer
cordless phone
router
modem
wireless access point
speakers
2 monitors
12V PSU
2 sockets used for drill chargers
soldering iron
PSU for A6 printer
battery charger

all from 1 socket.

surprisingly, it has never blown a 13A fuse

Spark123 said:
Just a general interest question, what causes computers to have a high earth leakage current? Possibly filters?

Correct - that and noisey switch mode psu's!!

andrew2022 said:
crafty1289 said:

comp
monitor
printer
scanner
digi camera charger
light
neon light clock
usb hub
adsl router
ethernet hub
speakers

hmmm... i have:

TV
Sky
comp UPS
UPS external battery charger
laser printer
fan
PDA charger
computer
cordless phone
router
modem
wireless access point
speakers
2 monitors
12V PSU
2 sockets used for drill chargers
soldering iron
PSU for A6 printer
battery charger

all from 1 socket.

surprisingly, it has never blown a 13A fuse

Thats just showing off ;) if we carry on like this, come 2010 most houses will only need 3 sockets. ;) :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
Thats just showing off ;) if we carry on like this, come 2010 most houses will only need 3 sockets. ;) :LOL:

i have about 4 4 way adapters and 8 way all plugged into each other...

fridge and phone charger are plugged into a different socket. all of above all go into 1 plug. and its even a double socket. 1 side is free...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back