Extension leads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have a problem with a lack of sockets in a bedroom .Basically i am moving into a property that has 2 double sockets on one wall .The problem is i need sockets on the opposite wall.

I need the new sockets for Pumps and filters ,lights for a fish tank .from memory 4 plugs are used..

Also need others for the PS4 ,PC and TV .

Would it be safe to buy 2 extension leads with 4 or more sockets on each and run them from the original sockets in the bedroom or would they be overloaded ? would need about 12ft extensions though..

Any advice will be appreciated

thank you

Sponsored Links
The fuse in the extension lead limits the power load capability on each lead so shouldn't be a problem, other than the quality of the leads themselves.

The second best thing would be to add new permanent sockets using minitrunking round the skirting board, if the existing sockets can be extended.
;)

The best thing would be to lift the floor and get access to the cables there.

linear - do you own this property, or rent it?

If you do go with extension leads, please don't run the flex under the carpet.

Sponsored Links
Hi
so the house is not rented...

1.The best thing would be to lift the floor and get access to the cables there (ban all Sheds)

i have lifted one of the cut floorboards and found the cable that goes to one of the double sockets.i have unscrewed the faceplate off the double socket and there is 2 cables connected to the terminals .Which is the same as the other double..

I was thinking about a junction box and running another cable from that to a new socket,but i have read so many different views regarding JB under floors ,and cutting into a ring main ..

Another option was to put another cable into the back of the socket and run the cable from it to a new socket.but as there is allready 2 in there would that not be a option ?

This is why i asked about extension leads..

i dont mind taking floorboards up etc etc as at the moment there is no carpet down .

thank you again

My method would likely be replace the double socket for two singles, and extend the ring around the room, likely LAP grid sockets so can use existing back box, however when working on a ring inspection and testing is important, other method is to fit a fused spur, the latter works well where there is no RCD already fitted as you can use a RCD FCU.

But nothing wrong with simply clipping an extension lead cable around the skirting if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back