Power Extension using a standard double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I wonder if you can help me.

In my spare bedroom I only have 1 x Double Power Socket, I'd like to have a TV and DVD Player in there but they are on the opposite wall.

Rather than use a standard Extension lead, is it acceptable to buy 5 meteres of white Flex 2.5mm electrical cable, fit a plug on one end and wire the other end up to a Standard double socket like the below but on a plastic white back box:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-lisse-2-gang-13a-sp-switched-plug-socket-white/6232J?

Basically creating my own extension lead, or is that a big no?

Thank you for your help with this.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Sure you can.
But if the box is not secured to the wall, you'll need to find a way of stopping the cable pulling out of the box.

Thank you very much for the reply, I didnt see an issue but wanted to check. Yes the cable would be securely fitted through the back of the cabinet and tacked in place etc.

Just to take that a step further and really push my luck then, would it be ridiculous to loop back out of that Power Socket and have another Double Power Socket on the other side of the cabinet, making a chain of 2 and a total of 4 sockets?

No more than that, I'm not talking an endless chain, just basically 4 double sockets in total but placed in the perfect positons for me.

Sponsored Links
no different than daisy chained pre made extension sockets. both pairs of sockets are protected by the fuse in the plug. not ideal but doable

cant find a link but lidl had an extension lead in store last week with several sockets spaced along a cable

Last edited:
The fuse in the plug limits total to 13A and with RCD protection the earth loop impedance is not as important as it was, so you could fit 10 double sockets if you wanted to, of course not in a bathroom, and in Wales also restrictions in kitchen and outside.

Thank you so much for the quick responses, massively appreciated!

I'll crack on lol

Cheers all

As you have a plug on the end, 1.5mm² flex will be more than adequate. 2.5mm² flex is "a bit difficult" to terminate in a BS1363 plug!

Hi There,

I wonder if you can help me.

In my spare bedroom I only have 1 x Double Power Socket, I'd like to have a TV and DVD Player in there but they are on the opposite wall.

Rather than use a standard Extension lead, is it acceptable to buy 5 meteres of white Flex 2.5mm electrical cable, fit a plug on one end and wire the other end up to a Standard double socket like the below but on a plastic white back box:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-lisse-2-gang-13a-sp-switched-plug-socket-white/6232J?
Why do you NOT want to use a standard "Extension Lead" like this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Elpine-4-W...Lead-UK-Plug-Home-Work-Office-240v/1060261925) - or one with more socket outlets.?

(If it is too long, you can cut it to length and re-install the plug - which may be cheaper than your approach, probably less work and you would not need to worry about securing the cable to the box.)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
ISTR that you'll struggle to get 2.5mm in a std plug.
good quality plugs ie mk will take 2.5mm. the mk toughplugs are particularly suited for large cables. if ALL you want to power is a tv and dvd you can use thinner cable ie 0.75mm and put a 5A fuse in the plug

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back