Socket conversion box - single to double kitchen appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've seen these simple socket conversion boxes for a job I need, where I currently only have one socket free for a washing machine and fridge.

Obviously I want to avoid putting both on an extension but wondering if these are adequate? Seems like a glorified extension cable to me. Looks great though if it can simply do the job without the need to chase out and wire in a double. Interested if anyone's used these before?

Thanks,
Will

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't put two high power appliances on a double socket but I'd think one high power appliance and a fridge would be ok.

I can't see any reason why such a converter socket would be any worse than a regular double socket from the same brand.

Sponsored Links
The whole socket seems to be rated at 13 amps. Not sure how it adheres to that. Nevertheless, a washing machine and fridge are unlikely to exceed that rating.

It may, or may not be the case that your single socket is part of the ring- on the balance of probability, it may be a spur. Why not loosen the face plate and see if you have single cables or twin sets of cables.

Either way, and I am not an electrician... a single spur feeding a 2 gang socket is, as far as a I am aware, permissible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back