Installing double socket in wall powered by plug

I'll estimate the lights/vacs were continuously running for something like 5 mins, I couldn't do much about starting surge as they are soft start. Assuming everything was running correctly I assume they were running at around 5A each and expect a total of about 13A. I expected the RCBO to trip in that time, adding low setting of fan heater tripped the RCBO in about a minute.
That's reasonably consistent with the rough trip times I suggested, isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That's reasonably consistent with the rough trip times I suggested, isn't it?

Kind Regards, John
It's certainly close enough for builders who work to +- half a house brick.
Truth be told, all of my figures/times are guesstimates, I posted that then felt a shiver down my spine when I saw how closely it compared with your figures.

Fancying a cup of tea and reading winston1's claim about not getting his, I looked at my kettle; 220-240V 2500-3000W, my power is 232V so I estimate current is ~12A. Assuming winston1's kettle is 240V 3000W or 12.5A I ensured I had 160W of fluo lights on, added 1L of water to the kettle plugged it into the loft space and clicked it on.

Let's have some guesses what happened next?

It's certainly close enough for builders who work to +- half a house brick. ... Truth be told, all of my figures/times are guesstimates, I posted that then felt a shiver down my spine when I saw how closely it compared with your figures.
Yep, pretty close. One of the things to remember was underlined by what crystal ball recently wrote in another thread (now locked - I wonder why? :) ) ...
crystal ball said:
First rule of loft scrambling, carry a spare torch
... if (seemingly exceedingly unlikely) a very large load was ever plugged into a socket on a 6A circuit in a loft, the worst that would happen is that the circuit's OPD would trip - and, in turn, the worst (and oft-cited) consequence of that would be to be 'plunged into darkness' in the loft. However, as crystal ball implies, anyone doing things in a loft without a functioning torch in their pocket probably deserves any fate they suffer - given that, at least in my part of the world, a brief power cut would be a far more likely cause of that 'plunging into darkness' than would someone plugging a very large load into a socket clearly intended for something specific and different (and quite probably labelled as such.

... and, in any event, as I have illustrated during previous incarnations of this stupid discussion, one can do more than just 'labelling' if one wants to keep the vacuum's plug out of, say, the wallwart's socket ....

upload_2021-5-6_0-34-31.png

Kind Regards, John

Yep, pretty close. One of the things to remember was underlined by what crystal ball recently wrote in another thread (now locked - I wonder why? :) ) ...

Kind Regards, John
and after only 4 posts!

Sponsored Links
and after only 4 posts!
No, the present appearance of the thread is deceptive ... there were quite a few more posts, but all the 'unhelpful' ones (guess who from :) ), plus some of the replies to them (e.g. from me!) were 'removed' before the thread was locked :)

Kind Regards, John

No, the present appearance of the thread is deceptive ... there were quite a few more posts, but all the 'unhelpful' ones (guess who from :) ), plus some of the replies to them (e.g. from me!) were 'removed' before the thread was locked :)

Kind Regards, John
Normally the post number don't change when some are removed, perhaps it was simply everything after #4.

Was that the thread where I did whinnys trick and misquote?

Normally the post number don't change when some are removed, perhaps it was simply everything after #4.
That's possible - there certainly were a few others. The notification I got (relating to a reply to you-know-who) simply said:
an Alert said:
Your post in the thread Light in loft. was deleted. Reason: a number of unhelpful posts have been removed 5:07 PM

Kind Regards, John

That's possible - there certainly were a few others. The notification I got (relating to a reply to you-know-who) simply said:

Kind Regards, John
Ah. I wasn't around then and I rarely look at my alert history.
Also see PM

i guess some of the blame for that thread being sanitised and locked is mine. I must learn to be tolerant of Whinny.

Ah. I wasn't around then and I rarely look at my alert history. Also see PM
"5.07 PM" was presumably the time at which the notification to be was sent, but I have no idea when the 'deleted' messages were posted.

Kind Regards, John

But if we, ( the sensible people with knowledge and experience ) all ignored Whinny then his opinions would go unchallenged. They would be read and believed by those seeking guidance,
I'm TOTALLY with Bernard on this one. People, quite rightly come on here looking for help/advice. If the wrong advice isn't checked we'll start getting people hurt.
When I first found the site was right in the middle of a thread about extending a buried 4C SWA for 2 way switching with a light at each end. Someone had suggested using 3C&E as the bare earth wire is good for a neutral then wrapping the joint in SA tape and burying.
And another pooh pooh'd the notion of needing an earth at switches as they'd never been needed before and that was in a thread about fitting brass switches.
Both extended to a number of posts shouting NO before mods stepped in.

IMO it is less hazardous (for an inexperienced person) to get something wrong on a 6A circuit than a 32A circuit and accordingly I believe the electrical risk factor of adding a 13A socket on a 32A ring final added to the additional work involved chasing walls, moving furniture & lifting floor boards etc far outweighs the risks of adding it to a lighting circuit. There is far less work to do, it's a lot quicker, it's a lot easier and reduced chance of ending the job in A&E.

So yes we do have a duty of care when we offer advice and that also extends to correcting incorrect advice given by others.

I may be a little more H&S aware than some (I stress NOT all) on here due to some of the work I've done, the likes of which will never be encountered by house bashers (Totally no offence given).

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
"5.07 PM" was presumably the time at which the notification to be was sent, but I have no idea when the 'deleted' messages were posted.

Kind Regards, John
It would have been the same time my 8 messages were deleted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back