Installing double socket in wall powered by plug

Table 52.3, referenced in 524.1.

However, as I subsequently clarified above, what I wrote only applies to cables which are not 'flexible', since that same Table indicates that the minimum CSA of flexible cables is 0.75mm² "for any other application" (hence including 'lighting' and 'power' circuits, whatever they may be).

Does that mean we cannot put a 13a power socket on a 1mm lighting circuit :)

Sponsored Links
Does that mean we cannot put a 13a power socket on a 1mm lighting circuit :)
:)

I suppose that may depend upon what loads one intends to apply to the socket, given that the latest edition of the regs says that " ... 'lighting' circuits may supply 'small items of current-using equipment, such as a bathroom extractor fan') " :)

If one installed to socket in a loft and intended that vacuum cleaners would be plugged into it, you're probably right that it wouldn't be allowed (by virtue of cable CSA, quite apart from the OPD rating)!

However, 'to be serious', the absence of a definition of 'power circuit' does inevitably lead to some uncertainties.

Kind Regards, John

:)

I suppose that may depend upon what loads one intends to apply to the socket, given that the latest edition of the regs says that " ... 'lighting' circuits may supply 'small items of current-using equipment, such as a bathroom extractor fan') " :)

If one installed to socket in a loft and intended that vacuum cleaners would be plugged into it, you're probably right that it wouldn't be allowed (by virtue of cable CSA, quite apart from the OPD rating)!

However, 'to be serious', the absence of a definition of 'power circuit' does inevitably lead to some uncertainties.

Kind Regards, John
But EU has limited power of vacs to 800W so perfectly ok for a 5/6A circuit:LOL:

Sponsored Links
This should be protected by a 3A fuse in a SFCU.
Quite possibly, but that doesn't have any bearing on what the regulations say about minimum cable sizes - and, in particular, does not mean that 0.5 mm² cable (which, in terms of current-carrying capacity, would be adequate for 3A), even if flexible, would be compliant with the regulation we are talking about.

Kind Regards, John

What about the UK (rather than those foreign places) - have they also "limited power of vacs", I wonder?

Kind Regards, John
We're certainly supposed to have done so, that's why CPC sold off 200 1200W Henry's at a very silly price.

It is bad practice to put a 13 amp socket on any lighting circuit.
So how else is one supposed to cope with:
" ... 'lighting' circuits may supply 'small items of current-using equipment ..."

Which appears in the regs?

So how else is one supposed to cope with:
" ... 'lighting' circuits may supply 'small items of current-using equipment ..."

Which appears in the regs?
By using small plugs and sockets such as BS546 2 amp or 5 amp. Simples!

Unfortunately too many manufacturers make stuff with a 13amp wall wart nowadays, which makes it difficult.
Not difficult for a sparks to put a 13 amp socket on the existing ring or power radial. Even a DIYer could do it.

I agree, but there will be instances where such an appliance needs to be on the lighting circuit, if it is to be controlled from a light switch or something.

Time and money restraints will often affect someone's judgement in fitting a 13amp socket on a lighting circuit for something awkward if someone can get away with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back