Installing double socket in wall powered by plug

We're certainly supposed to have done so, that's why CPC sold off 200 1200W Henry's at a very silly price.
That was when the UK was a Member State of the EU, and hence bound by EU regulations/Directives. I was asking about what the situation is now.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Here we go again. Winston making his own regulations up.

Not difficult for a sparks to put a 13 amp socket on the existing ring or power radial. Even a DIYer could do it.
In the real World (eg many loft areas) there simply isn’t an existing ring or power radial (whatever power means).,

By using small plugs and sockets such as BS546 2 amp or 5 amp. Simples!
So let me make sure I understand your plan A correctly.
1. I purchase a 2A or 5A socket at a higher price than I would for a 13A socket.
2. I purchase a 2A or 5A plug at a higher price than a 13A plug.
3. I purchase a length of 3C flex capable of 5 or 6A.
4. I purchase a 13A trailing socket.
5. I spend the time fitting items 2, 3 & 4 together
6. I plug the plug mounted power supply that came with the aerial amplifier/CCTV camera etcetera into the lash up.

Alternatively my (and for that matter pretty much everybody else on here) plan B:
1. I purchase a 13A socket.
2. Delete.
3. Delete.
4. Delete.
5. Delete.
6. I plug the plug mounted power supply that came with the aerial amplifier/CCTV camera etcetera directly into a 13A socket.

Do you know what, now I read your suggestion I think I'll do it your way...

But then I'd be stupid too and be criticised by all the others. Alternatively I could do it the easy way, the sensible way, the cheaper way, in fact the better way.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That was when the UK was a Member State of the EU, and hence bound by EU regulations/Directives. I was asking about what the situation is now.

Kind Regards, John
It's one of the laws that is to remain.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I USED to worry about putting 13amp sockets on lighting circuits. Going to all kinds of bother fitting 2 or 5amp sockets on lighting circuits in lofts for TV amps - only for someone to appear two years later with a new TV amp where a 13amp plug was part of the main body of the amp.

I HAVE gone to the trouble of putting 13amp extension lead sockets and wall warts in large enclosures to prevent anyone seeing it or plugging in something else, and wished I hadn't bothered.

I HAVE had to fit a 13amp socket for Xmas lights from a nearby light switch to save damage, and had the socket professionally engraved reading LIGHTING ONLY.

I HAVE put lighting cables under kitchen units for plinth lighting, only to be given some piece of kit with wall warts. Am I seriously going to find new transformers or drivers. No, I am not.

Common sense has to prevail at times. If I don't do it, someone else will.

Here we go again. Winston making his own regulations up.

In the real World (eg many loft areas) there simply isn’t an existing ring or power radial (whatever power means).,
It is not difficult for a sparks or DIYer even to run a power cable into the loft, often via an airing cupboard or wardrobe.

So let me make sure I understand your plan A correctly.
1. I purchase a 2A or 5A socket at a higher price than I would for a 13A socket.
2. I purchase a 2A or 5A plug at a higher price than a 13A plug.
3. I purchase a length of 3C flex capable of 5 or 6A.
4. I purchase a 13A trailing socket.
5. I spend the time fitting items 2, 3 & 4 together
6. I plug the plug mounted power supply that came with the aerial amplifier/CCTV camera etcetera into the lash up.
No that would be a 13 amp socket on the lighting circuit via your lash up.
Alternatively my (and for that matter pretty much everybody else on here) plan B:
1. I purchase a 13A socket.
2. Delete.
3. Delete.
4. Delete.
5. Delete.
6. I plug the plug mounted power supply that came with the aerial amplifier/CCTV camera etcetera directly into a 13A socket.
Why did you delete?

2. Purchase a length of 2.5mm T&E cable.
3. Purchase some green/yellow sleeving.
4. Purchase some fire proof cable clips.
5. Spend some time wiring your 13a socket into the ring or power radial.

It is not difficult for a sparks or DIYer even to run a power cable into the loft, often via an airing cupboard or wardrobe.
I don't think anyone has suggested that it would necessarily be 'difficult' (although sometimes it might be) - but, in the situations we talk about, it represents unnecessary extra work, inconvenience and cost if there is already a lighting circuit available in the loft.

============================================
Winston, we're all getting fed up with you being a PITA about this and other things.
If you declare something is good or bad practice, cite a normative document or shut up.

Last edited by a moderator:
No that would be a 13 amp socket on the lighting circuit via your lash up.

Why did you delete?

2. Purchase a length of 2.5mm T&E cable.
3. Purchase some green/yellow sleeving.
4. Purchase some fire proof cable clips.
5. Spend some time wiring your 13a socket into the ring or power radial.
Because they are totally not required if one follows this simpler alternative
... do it the easy way, the sensible way, the cheaper way, in fact the better way.

Winston, we're all getting fed up with you being a PITA about this and other things.
If you declare something is good or bad practice, cite a normative document or shut up.

Thank you Mod.

I don't think anyone has suggested that it would necessarily be 'difficult' (although sometimes it might be) - but, in the situations we talk about, it represents unnecessary extra work, inconvenience and cost if there is already a lighting circuit available in the loft.
John you said yourself in a recent thread that the regs often don’t make sense. Would you not consider the one permitting a BS1363 on a lighting circuit one such example?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back