Light in loft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I have a quick, hopefully simple question.
I want to install an external burglar alarm siren on the outside of my house. Now this siren is mains powered (24V DC, 0.5A, 12W).

I want to ideally run it from my loft but the only power up there is a lighting ring with one light.

I have the correct mains adapter for the siren which runs from a basic 3 pin plug.

I was wondering if I could run a fused spur from that light and then run and standard plug socket from it and plug the siren from that?

Would that be safe and ok to do?

Also, what size flex/cable would be best?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Sponsored Links
yes

yes

1.5mm will be fine.

Regulations specifically authorise a 3-pin socket to be used in such circumstances, so disregard anyone who tells you it is wrong.

If you think anyone will try to plug in a fan-heater or something, make a label saying "6Amp max load - socket for burglar alarm" and stick it on.

You could also have one or more sockets to take a low-power device such as a wander-lamp if you wish, or a safety lamp or torch that comes on automatically in the event of a power cut, with similar labels. For reasons too sad to relate, I strongly recommend that such sockets should be on a circuit protected by an RCD.

yes

yes

1.5mm will be fine.

Regulations specifically authorise a 3-pin socket to be used in such circumstances, so disregard anyone who tells you it is wrong.

If you think anyone will try to plug in a fan-heater or something, make a label saying "6Amp max load - socket for burglar alarm" and stick it on.

You could also have one or more sockets to take a low-power device such as a wander-lamp if you wish, or a safety lamp or torch that comes on automatically in the event of a power cut, with similar labels. For reasons too sad to relate, I strongly recommend that such sockets should be on a circuit protected by an RCD.

Excellent, thanks very much for your reply.
You’ve pretty much confirmed what I thought but wasn’t 100% sure.

As for the risk of anything being plugged in, it’s only ever me that goes up there but I’ll definitely label it up just in case.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back