Fused spur worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals,

Just a quickie,

As per my previous post on here I am planning to install a 3 pin socket in my loft and run it from the light ring.

It’s only for a burglar alarm external siren which is 24v 0.5a 12w.

I will do it with 1.5mm flex.

What I’m wondering is, is it worth me putting a fused spur in between the light and the socket?
I know the light is only 6A so I was wondering if it’s worth it?
I was going to put one in with a 3A fuse as an extra layer of security should it overload for whatever reason.

Is it worth it?

Thanks.
Matt.

Sponsored Links
It’s only for a burglar alarm external siren which is 24v 0.5a 12w. .... I will do it with 1.5mm flex. What I’m wondering is, is it worth me putting a fused spur in between the light and the socket? I know the light is only 6A so I was wondering if it’s worth it? I was going to put one in with a 3A fuse as an extra layer of security should it overload for whatever reason. Is it worth it?
The short answer is 'no' (not worth it).

The 6A MCB is much more than adequate to protect the 1.5mm² flex and, as for 'overloads' (which aren't going to happen), it would be quite probable that the 6A MCB would trip before a 3A fuse blew, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

The short answer is 'no' (not worth it).

The 6A MCB is much more than adequate to protect the 1.5mm² flex and, as for 'overloads' (which aren't going to happen), it would be quite probable that the 6A MCB would trip before a 3A fuse blew, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

Brilliant, thanks John.

That’s why I doubted myself.
but you’ve pretty much clarified it for me

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I am waiting for the usual unwelcome interruption…

***Mods note*** unwelcome interruption arrived, was deleted and blocked from this thread as usual

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it use a plug-in adaptor? It would be worth using an FCU rather than a 13A socket if possible, but if the adaptor is integrated with the plug then there's no option for this.

I have tried it with a 1 amp fuse, idea was to stop the MCB tripping should I forget, it did not work, the MCB tripped first. Likely some lighting load but as @JohnW2 said not worth it.

The only problem in fitting a socket what ever size on same circuit as lights is the over load plunges you into darkness, but it does not matter if table and standard lights come from sockets, or other items powered from lights, it is the same problem.

If any area if super dependent on lighting, be it the stairs or the loft, emergency lights is the way to go. It does not matter how many circuits you have, power cut still means plunged into darkness.

I will agree to have sockets and lights off a different RCD means if some thing plugged in gives you a shock your not also plunged into darkness, so there is a good reason to ensure lights and sockets are not on same RCD. But best practice is to split socket circuits side to side of house to keep the loop impedance as low as possible, and lights upper and lower so many houses you need more than two RCD's to ensure lights and sockets not one the same RCD, and most TT homes use one RCD and most modern homes two RCD's OK my house all RCBO so 14 RCD's but that is unusual, so the main point if it is OK for lights and sockets to be on same RCD then clearly also OK to be on same MCB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it use a plug-in adaptor? It would be worth using an FCU rather than a 13A socket if possible, but if the adaptor is integrated with the plug then there's no option for this.
Why would you favour that, even if it were not a walwart -do you perhaps share winston's concerns?

I have countless things (AV, IT, large kitchen appliances etc. etc.) permanently 'plugged in' for their entire working lives. I could change them all to being wired in to being hard-wired into FCUs, but the only real difference I can think of would be the unnecessary hassle/inconvenience if/when they ever had to be replaced, repaired or moved.

People seem happy with 20A radials with multiple sockets, and it would be very easy to overload such a circuit to the same (pro-rata) extent as would occur if a vacuum cleaner were plugged into a 6A circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Why would you favour that, even if it were not a walwart -do you perhaps share winston's concerns?

I have countless things (AV, IT, large kitchen appliances etc. etc.) permanently 'plugged in' for their entire working lives. I could change them all to being wired in to being hard-wired into FCUs, but the only real difference I can think of would be the unnecessary hassle/inconvenience if/when they ever had to be replaced, repaired or moved.

People seem happy with 20A radials with multiple sockets, and it would be very easy to overload such a circuit to the same (pro-rata) extent as would occur if a vacuum cleaner were plugged into a 6A circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Just to stop people taking a kettle into the loft for a brew. Also more usefully will hopefully prevent the alarm from accidentally being unplugged or switched off.

Just to stop people taking a kettle into the loft for a brew.
OK- so, as I suggested, it seems that you do share some of winston's concerns?
Also more usefully will hopefully prevent the alarm from accidentally being unplugged or switched off.
As I recently posted, if that were your concern (and even if it were a wallwart), then ...

upload_2021-5-7_19-25-22.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back