Fused Spur for Boiler. Can it be used ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new here....

We have a new build house and want to put the microwave in the kitchen cupboard there is a blank, and a fused spur that isolates the boiler in there I was going to tap off the fused spur to install new socket.

However when I took the cover off the fused spur it’s only got 1.5mm on the feed to the fused spur.....

Can I come off this fused spur to supply a single socket ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Obviously you cannot connect to the load side of the fused spur. The fuse for the boiler will probably be the (required) 3amps, and that's too small!.
You could spur from the supply side of the FCU, providing it is on a ring final, and not already a spur. How many wires are there in the supply side of the FCU in the live terminal? Post a photo if you not sure.

7B65B905-CFAB-483D-B4DA-BB946B0EB8D3.jpeg

Attachments

• 2127BD42-A2FD-4DB0-8D6A-DC5BC6C159ED.jpeg
    2127BD42-A2FD-4DB0-8D6A-DC5BC6C159ED.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 523
What size circuit breaker at the consumer unit protects this circuit?

You say the cable is 1.5mm2, it looks smaller to me - could it be 1.0mm2?

Sponsored Links
Yes looks like dedicated feed for the boiler. No chance you can use that.
Is there another socket in the room that you could connect to?

edit: I-spy another cable going east west through that back box. Looks bigger too. Where does that go to/ from?

looks like there’s another accessory on the left hand side of the boiler switch. What is that?

You could spur from the supply side of the FCU, providing it is on a ring final, and not already a spur.
One could, IF that were the case, but ....
... when I took the cover off the fused spur it’s only got 1.5mm on the feed to the fused spur.....
... so I agree with what you have said subsequently.

Kind Regards, John

If it IS 1.5mm² Method C, then a 3A fuse for the boiler and 13A fuse in a plug in a single socket would be alright - wouldn't it?

Or shall we argue that someone in the future might swap the socket for a Hadron Collider?

If it IS 1.5mm² Method C, then a 3A fuse for the boiler and 13A fuse in a plug in a single socket would be alright - wouldn't it? .... Or shall we argue that someone in the future might swap the socket for a Hadron Collider?
In terms of Cable CCC (hence electrical considerations) it certainly would be OK (so long as the fuse in the FCU continues to be 3A).

I imagine that the main imagined 'issue' likely to be cited by some (many?) is presumably Appendix 15, which that some/many will probably say say 'prohibits' (not that it can/could!) two or more 'anythings' being supplied by an unfused spur from a ringFC (even, I presume, if those somethings were both FCUs with 1A fuses).

Kind Regards, John

Yes looks like dedicated feed for the boiler. No chance you can use that.
Is there another socket in the room that you could connect to?

edit: I-spy another cable going east west through that back box. Looks bigger too. Where does that go to/ from?

looks like there’s another accessory on the left hand side of the boiler switch. What is that?
AA1452A3-F357-45FC-ABBE-AA6F8E21ED84.jpeg

The fused spur has a independent feed as mentioned above I haven't checked the size of the fuse I would imagine 3amp.

The twin & earth running east to west pic 1....Terminates behind the blank pic 2 combining the two flex cables coming down from the boiler, then loops back to the outgoing side supply from the fused spare, which has me baffled and this is also not 2.5mm

We have a double socket to the right low level on the wall though it’s looking like an unsightly extension out of the side of the Cupboard low level about a half a metre away and plugging in there which we wanted to avoid as it’s opposite the entrance to the kitchen and the first thing you will see ‍♂️

Have you found the fuse/MCB/RCBO that the FCU is fed from? In my house I have 14 RCBO's only 4 are ring finals, 3 are lights, the rest are supplying one item and it may be the same with your house.

So the instructions will change depending on the supply, 16 amp, 20 amp, 25 and or 32 amp.

Would that need a Fusion Connection Unit?
:) :)

... maybe only a JB! As EFLI was implying, some of these people who think that electrical installations have to be designed with "any possible future idiocy in mind" should presumably be concerned that any accessory on any circuit could, in the future, be replaced with a hard-wired connection to an inappropriate load - so, they should be 'concerned' about an unfused spur from a RingFC supplying just one single socket (which no-one would claim was 'non-compliant) with, say, a hard-wired connection to a shower.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back