Distributing 24V power over old alarm wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed my (recently died) wired alarm system and replaced with a Ring alarm.

The old alarm panel was powered from a fused spur, fed from a dedicated MCB on the consumer unit. I'd like to put the Ring alarm base station on the wall in this location, but also utilise the existing alarm cabling to provide power to the outdoor siren and a Ring doorbell (no existing wired doorbell).

Looking for ideas for the best/tidiest way to achieve this :)

Ring Base Station has a plug-in adapter.
Ring Outdoor Siren needs 9-28VDC, 12-40W.
Ring Video Doorbell Wired is compatible with most standard 8-24VAC doorbell transformers.

Both are compatible with the Ring Plug-In Adapter (24VDC, 0.5A, 12.0W) but this is currently out of stock for 2-4 months. Could get an equivalent spec alternative elsewhere (Ring state to only use Ring DC power supplies, as these have additional protection designed for Ring Video Doorbells - but not sure how critical this is!)

One option seems to be change the fused spur to a socket, plug in an extension lead, then use plug-in adapters and join them onto the relevant alarm cables for the siren & doorbell, and plug in the base station. This would all then need boxing in / hiding with a cabinet :)

Wondering if there's a tidier/more professional way of doing this, ideally something that would mount over where the existing alarm cables exit the wall (or components I could tuck into the old alarm enclosure).

Sponsored Links
So what are you asking here? Can you use existing alarm cable to power your siren? Yes it'll work, maybe not at full power, depends how skinny your alarm cables are.
Power supply- no idea how much Ring wall warts are, a rank of them in a multiblock (do they fit in adjacent sockets in a multiblock? Possibly not) will be bulky and expensive. CPC will sell you a 24v 50w SMPSU for about £12, there will be others (switch mode might not be ideal, that was the first one I found).
Rings 'extra protection' will either be marketing flannel or a non-resettable output fuse on the PSU. Fuse carriers and 1A antisurge fuses are cheap enough.
Your existing alarm panel- have you put a meter on the power supply to see if it still works? They were typically 12v regulated at 2 or 3 amps, with battery backup, that would do.

Fit a proper alarm that doesn’t use plug in adaptors…..if they don’t have something like a power supply in stock now what’s that tell you about that system ….you probably won’t get parts for it in a couple of years …

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back