1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Nest Doorbell: No such thing as a 12-24v wired doorbell?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Cej238, 4 Dec 2019 at 10:56 PM.

1. Cej238

Cej238

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've bought a Nest Hello Doorbell and upon investigating our current set-up, my supposedly 'wired' doorbell is battery powered. I still want a regular (preferably traditional mechanical 'hold down the button' to ring) doorbell, so am looking at replacing what I currently have with something that is Nest compatible.

Nest says it requires 12-24v providing 8va. Almost all of the doorbells I've found however operate at 8v. It is this some strange quirk of UK doorbells? Or am I reading things incorrectly? Any specific links warmly received.

I'm assuming that as part of my installation I'll need a transformer to go from Mains -> 12-24v. What would be the usual way of installing this? Does it go straight into the fuse-box? I don't have a plug close to the front door, and certainly not one that could also happily hide a transformer box. The fusebox is under the stairs though, and running a length of thin 12-24v capable wire would be relatively easy.

Thanks!

2. Naz1977

Naz1977

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hello mate

I am a Nest pro installer and I feel your pain!

I also bought a nest for myself which I have a wired door bell. But the make of my door chime is not supported by Nest.

Nest do recommend more than 8v, however depending on the length of the cable from door bell to the button , it might work ok.

I have a Byron 776 doorbell with built in transformer. It is not a supported transformer by Nest, but it works fine for my install. It is an 8v transformer

Nest don't recommend using door bells with built in transformer and always want to put an external transformer because of this very reason.

Look on tool station, and the door bell is about £12 from them. You can try that and see how it works. failing that, a new transformer and a separate bell will work out about £25 and then you have to run cables to it and ...

You option for the transformer is up to you. You can either get a din rail mountable one and put it inside your CU, depending on space, or get one and mount it outside the fuse box. You need main to the transformer, and then a cable from transformer to the door chime and a cable from chime to the door bell.

Hope this helps.

3. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’ve been doing research last week.
    Apparently the pro version must have 24v

However and hopefully the lower models eg 2, require less voltage as it only charges the battery.

4. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nest also do a plugin transformer but I guess that’s non preferred.

5. Naz1977

Naz1977

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nest only do a single version of door bell. There is no pro and ... , they also don't do any sort of plugin transformer.

You are thinking about Ring door bells

6. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    whoops.

That's what happens when I post in the middle of the night!

7. sparkymarka

sparkymarka

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom