Old chime wiring help

I’ve tested the wires at the doorbell end and they have no power in them. So either the transformer has gone or the transformer wires are not connected to the doorbell wires. If 1 pair of wires is from the transformer and the other pair is from the doorbell then can I not just connect both pairs of wires together so the transformer is hooked up to the doorbell and the chime is left out?

Sponsored Links
you had that in your 1st post, did you try testing voltage of the two wires there first, it will be about 8 volt

I checked the wires and from one of them I was getting less than a volt. The rest I was getting nothing so looks like the transformer is gone.

Even though I have a transformer in the consumer unit, I am thinking it’s probably easier to get a surface transformer that I can plug into a nearby socket so that I can reuse the existing wires. Is there such a thing as a plug in transformer that I can connect my wires directly into?

Forgot to ask - even though I’m only getting under a volt, when I connect the wires to the chime, the solenoid piston moves position and I can hear a buzzing. Is it a safe bet to assume that it is indeed the transformer that is faulty?

Sponsored Links
Thanks I’ll give that a go tomorrow. Won’t I then need to use the jumper cable/wago connectors that came with the Ring doorbell?

I fitted a new Ring doorbell last week, it wasn't supplied with Wagos but it was supplied with a transformer. The new transformer however wasn't needed as I had previously fitted a transformer in a separate enclosure for the previous (Mk1) Ring, I then used some flex and a 3amp plug to plug it in to a nearby socket.

Here is the enclosure

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NCZHMWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back