Wiring new doorbell and chime?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my wireless doorbell and chime system and not sure how to go about it....

I have located the existing location of the chime unit and it has two set of two wires -

1. 2 Wires that come from the (I assume) the consumer unit that are meant to go into the chime

2. 2 wires that go from the chime to the doorbell.

Not sure how they are supposed to work and where they have been connected into the 'consumer unit'?

The wires are skinny white wires and have no colours on them.

Any ideas what I need to do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does not sound wireless to me?
Have you the make/model of the unit/system, that would hopefully offer info that can be worked on.

Have you checked if any of the wires going into chime unit are live ?
Does the chime unit still work when the door bell is pressed?
Is there a switched spur box or socket nearby that could have been the live supply to the unit.

The chime unit could have been fed by a transformer unit hence the white wires, popular in the 60`s

Sponsored Links
The wires are skinny white wires and have no colours on them.
Like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/time-bell-cable-2-core-100m-white/87513 ?
If so, then those from the consumer unit will be from a transformer, the others to the button at the door.
Wiring is to take one wire from the 'consumer unit' end and one from the button end and connect them together.
The two wires that are left (one from each side) are connected to the chime or bell.
This assumes that the transformer and button are still working.

Does not sound wireless to me?
Have you the make/model of the unit/system, that would hopefully offer info that can be worked on.

Sorry I was not clear -
I installed a friedland wireless doorbell and wireless chime 3 years ago as it seemed like the best solution at the time.
The wires I mentioned in my initial post was installed by the builders in readiness a wired chime and doorbell however I chose the wireless route in the end...

Like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/time-bell-cable-2-core-100m-white/87513 ?
If so, then those from the consumer unit will be from a transformer, the others to the button at the door.
Wiring is to take one wire from the 'consumer unit' end and one from the button end and connect them together.
The two wires that are left (one from each side) are connected to the chime or bell.
This assumes that the transformer and button are still working.

That is exactly the wire!

How do I know the builders have connected it to a transformer and not directly from the consumer unit?

Last edited:
Usually the transformer is located next to, and sometimes inside, the consumer unit.
Post a pic of the cu and its surroundings.

So a little confused now...

Here are the pics of behind the doorbell, where the chime will go and the consumer unit....

Not what I expected!
I especially thought there would only be two wires behind the doorbell not 2 sets of 2...

Attachments

• 20161222_211400.jpg
    20161222_211400.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 20161222_211339.jpg
    20161222_211339.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 20161222_204928.jpg
    20161222_204928.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 20161222_204611.jpg
    20161222_204611.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 241
Any ideas guys how I will wire the bell and chime?
Just to add - I have a 2nd chime unit in the kitchen area.
I have just checked behind it and there are 2 wires located there as well....

So I assume the way it is setup is as follows -

Kitchen Chimes to Doorbell?
Doorway Chimes to Doorbell?
Consumer Unit or other source or Doorway Chimes?

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be a transformer near the consumer unit.

Do you own a multimeter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back