Old chime wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently purchased the Ring Doorbell Wired. My house already has existing doorbell wiring but that has not been used for the past 5-6 years as I have been using a battery doorbell with a plug-in chime. I have a compatible transformer in my consumer unit as well as a doorbell switch. I am assuming the doorbell switch in my consumer unit is for my transformer. I have opened my chime and can see that the wires have been disconnected by the previous owner so as a result, I am not sure which wire is which. I have attached a photo and would appreciate if someone can help me to bypass the chime and get power to my doorbell.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing to bypass, the old chime isn't connected.

Wiring is the two wires from the transformer to the two terminals on the Ring.

I get that it isn’t connected but how do I connect the doorbell by bypassing the chime? Do I just join all 4 wires together?

upload_2022-3-6_22-33-48.png

It seems likely if you separated the two wires marked disconnect these and put one in terminal marked 1 and other in terminal marked 2 it may work. You will need insulation tape around the other pair.

However as shown seems likely may have damaged the transformer if switched on wired as shown.

Sponsored Links
View attachment 263256
It seems likely if you separated the two wires marked disconnect these and put one in terminal marked 1 and other in terminal marked 2 it may work. You will need insulation tape around the other pair.

However as shown seems likely may have damaged the transformer if switched on wired as shown.

Thanks I’ll give that a go tomorrow. Won’t I then need to use the jumper cable/wago connectors that came with the Ring doorbell?

Do I just join all 4 wires together?
No. That will very likely short out the transformer causing it to overheat and fail.

As there are 2 separate pairs of wires there, it's likely that one pair is from the transformer and the other pair from the old button on the door. In which case it's just connecting the two wires at the door to the Ring.

I have to say the bit about installing the jumper at the chime is not at all clear.

I take it you need the transformer feed at the bell push position.

The "bell" is your smartphone app.

I have to say the bit about installing the jumper at the chime is not at all clear.

I take it you need the transformer feed at the bell push position.

The "bell" is your smartphone app.

I agree about the jumper bit. In ericmark’s suggestion above, do I put the jumper between 1 and 2? If so, I can just join them together and leave out the jumper faff no?

If one of those bell cables comes from the transformer to the chime and the other goes from the chime to the push, then isn't it already connected so that there is transformer power at the push?

The chimes are the two bits down each side that are metal plates but in the pic look like the sides of the case

As Sureitsoff? has pointed out, the black metal plates are the chimes.

So just to be clear, I can just do the connection as suggested by ericmark and that may be enough to get power to the bell? So no need to bother with jumping any wires?

If one of those bell cables comes from the transformer to the chime and the other goes from the chime to the push, then isn't it already connected so that there is transformer power at the push?
No. That will very likely short out the transformer causing it to overheat and fail.

As there are 2 separate pairs of wires there, it's likely that one pair is from the transformer and the other pair from the old button on the door. In which case it's just connecting the two wires at the door to the Ring.

Just to be clear I'll confirm you need to do nothing (other than ensure those wires can't short together), it's already done for you.
Personally I'd park them like this but with less copper showing:
upload_2022-3-7_16-20-31.png

Just to be clear I'll confirm you need to do nothing (other than ensure those wires can't short together), it's already done for you.
Personally I'd park them like this but with less copper showing:
View attachment 263312

If I do it like that, how do I bypass the chime so that the Ring doorbell has power but not the chime?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back