Powering External Alarm Siren from Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a burglar alarm siren that is powered by the mains - it came with a shaver-type plug on the lead.

At the moment its plugged into a mains socket in an upstairs room, but I would like to re-route the cable into the loft. Is it possible to power it from the lighting circuit that's already up there? The shaver adapters seem to have a 1A fuse in them, so should I wire a 1A FCU up there (or a shaver socket)?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
dont bother, just keep it for amusement

not a master blaster is it? picture of said siren please. posting a picture information is in forum information.

back to why dont bother.

it must have a 20 min cut out to comply with the law, it will be anoying for your neigbours its easily broken with a stick

It's a Visonic MCS-700

I want to re-route the cable as my temporary (well, was supposed to be temporary 2 years ago) installation means the wire is a bit unsightly.

oh, its a radio piece of junk why didnt you say so.

it says it has a plug in power supply would that be a wall wart? (looks like a black box with 3 prongs so you can plug it in)

Sponsored Links
oh, its a radio piece of junk why didnt you say so.
Didn't think it was important...

it says it has a plug in power supply would that be a wall wart? (looks like a black box with 3 prongs so you can plug it in)
Yeah - the instructions say that, but its not a wall wart, there's a separate transformer with a lead coming from it with a shaver plug on it...

Cheers...

why not fit a shaver socket to the lighting circuit and plug it in.

by leaving the plug you are not invalidating any g'tee

Thanks,

I'm not bothered about the warranty (unit is >2 years old) and to be honest, it'll probably be easier to chop the plug off to re-route the cable.

So what are my options - fit a shaver socket in the loft as you suggested and then re-attach the plug?

Or (and this is where I'm a bit hazy) fit some kind of FCU in the loft with a 1A fuse in it?

Thanks again.

either.

but a 1a fues is not all that common, and the lighting cct sould be protected by a 5a fuse anyway (or 6a mcb)

Thanks - I've bought myself a fused switch so I guess I just need to find a 1A fuse to go in it, and then wire it into the lighting circuit up in the loft.

Thanks again.

Eeeee, I remember making the master blasters, twas fun testing them too...

Although its not the sort of thing I would have had indoors, a minitron is more suited to that. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact fuse rating, a 3A one should be fine for it's main purpose which is protecting the flex.

Eeeee, I remember making the master blasters, twas fun testing them too...

master blaster? I can fart louder than one of them (but not for as long)

CartersAndrewPollard.jpg
this is a siren.

But not as bad as some of the weird stuff the Americans have

I used to build them too Breezer, single and duel ended.
Now those we did not test, they had to have a test on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back