Socket Spacer Plates

Thanks for that I have the kewcheck one. After changing any socket I use it to confirm the socket is wired correctly.

I did this with the above socket and it gave a continuous sound with all three lights on the front stating it's wired correctly. I have just wired it the correct way using the correct colours to the relevant terminals and it says that L and N were reverse. I corrected this so it shows as the picture and it states it's now Ok. I have also used the Fluke VoltAlert which confirms and so does my multimeter that the live is indeed the blue set of cables.

I have also moved the 'earth' cable down to where it should be and when this is placed there it trips out so this confirms that all the cables are correct however are the wrong colour.

Thanks

James

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Havig two browns suggests its wrong at at least two other locations, these really need locating and sorting as well as that socket, just sorting at one point could easily cause you put the live supply onto an earth terminal, which could have fatal consequeces

Absolutely shocking, the wiring is obviously wrong and to be happy to continue to use it in the condition it is in is appalling. It looks undersized and the colours used do not correctly identify the function of the conductors. The cable should be removed, the plaster depth boxes (I've never seen a double one like that before!) should be replaced with a 25mm box chased into the block, and then rewired using appropriate cable connected to a properly configured socket circuit.

If someone was to replace that socket in the future without noting where the conductors were they would end up connecting the line conductor into the earth terminal!

If someone was to replace that socket in the future without noting where the conductors were they would end up connecting the line conductor into the earth terminal!

Live would be in the neutral terminal :)
However if the preceeeding connection was ever connected right, it would indeed liven up the following earth terminals and due to the apparent true earth being in the live terminals the whole housing would be live

Sponsored Links
Yes I understand there are issues with it and when I find the other sockets which are set like this I will swap them all to the correct wiring standards. I am replacing the other sockets around the house so when I find the other cables which do this I will swap them over first confirming the live and neutral then going back to this socket and correcting this one too.

I cant do that without knowing which other sockets have this problem and only in time when I remove the other sockets will I find these and will be able to fully fix this issue.

You can't fix this one socket at a time. You have to fix the whole circuit in one go. If you can't do this you need an electrician.

Yes flex being cables designed to be flexed in use, not for fixed wiring purposes, though they can be used for fixed wiring provided they are appropriately rated, and installed within mechanical protection. Not normally done (unless lots of cores are needed for control purposes) as flex is more expensive than twin and earth.

It's in the latest regs somewhere permitting flex to be used providing certain things are followed. And price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back