Extension lead behind plasterboard wall and cable width query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm looking to run an extension lead from the mains socket to a wall mounted TV on the opposite plasterboard wall in a bedroom. I wanted to hide the cable and do not want trunking. I'm also laying new laminate flooring and skirting and the plan was to run the cable behind the rebated skirting board around a 90 degree corner and then fish it through the plasterboard wall straight up to a position behind the TV. The original plan was to wire it to a 2 gang socket at the TV end (running a TV with no transformer and Sky Q mini box) but then I thought I could mount a pattress box and flush mount a double switched socket which would look neater.
I've done some initial research and it seems that this would be OK as it's basically an extension lead and not a fixed installation but is this so and is it all within regs?
Will the plug and cable need to be rated to 13A? What diameter 3 core cable will be best suited and will it be flexible enough to go round a 90 degree corner?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
as it's basically an extension lead and not a fixed installation

No......... if the cable is buried in the wall and thus out of sight then it is NOT an extension lead. It is a fixed installation and as such has to be compliant with the Wiring Regulation.

No......... if the cable is buried in the wall and thus out of sight then it is NOT an extension lead. It is a fixed installation and as such has to be compliant with the Wiring Regulation.
Thanks. So the only way to do this is on the surface of the wall in plastic trunking? I'm disappointed as I really wanted to avoid this. If I ran it behind the plasterboard wall within conduit/trunking vertically within a safe zone is this permitted? Also is running the cable behind rebated skirting board permitted or is this the same as running it behind a wall?

Last edited:
It is only allowed behind skirting board when it is horizontal or vertical with an accessory - horizontal would mean the socket would have to be on the skirting board, not ideal unless the skirting is fairly tall.

Sponsored Links
OK so it looks like my idea is a no go. I'm glad I asked as I wanted everything to be safe. It looks like trunking or calling in a spark to take a spur from the loft and install a socket behind the TV. Any ideas on a ball park figure for that please?

I’m just checking I’ve got this right as I’ve re read my original post. Basically I want to run a 2 gang extension lead from being plugged in at one end, behind skirting and then partly behind a wall. I’m not taking a spur from a socket but want to hide the cable of the extension lead.
If I put a faceplate at the bottom of the wall and then another above it behind the TV would this create a safe zone or does it have to be 150mm from the corner of the wall??

If I put a faceplate at the bottom of the wall and then another above it behind the TV would this create a safe zone
No, because the wires have to be connected to the accessory at that point.
A socket in the wall behind the TV will create a zone vertically (and horizontally) for the cable. A blank plate with nothing connected to it will not.
Zones do not extend around corners either.

A cable vertically from above to a socket behind the TV will be far simpler, as that will create the zone vertically, and cables in the loft space can be visible and therefore don't have to be in any zone.

calling in a spark to take a spur from the loft and install a socket behind the TV.
That is an option, but if you consider yourself capable of concealing extension leads in the wall and connecting them to a flush mounted double socket, you can probably do the loft thing yourself as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back