Flash and bang from multi-socket extension lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I use a surge protected extension lead with 6 sockets for devices including the TV and Xbox. I just plugged my laptop charger into an empty plug socket on the lead, and there was an orange flash and a bang that tripped one of the switches in the fuse box.
Is this a problem with the laptop charger or the extension lead? I haven't tried to use the charger again, but the extension lead seems to work fine although I have only tried using one of the sockets at a time now. Is it best to get a new lead too?

Sponsored Links
A lap top charger is a switched mode power supply, they work by turning AC to DC charging a capacitor and then turning it back to AC at a high frequency so a smaller transformer is required, the capacitors have a limited life, and some times go short circuit.

In the main the plug has a 3 amp fuse which will in the main rupture before taking out the 32 amp MCB/RCBO in the fuse box/consumer unit. But not always, likely you will find the flash was the fuse rupturing. And likely the power supply is shot.

Most likely the lappie charger, they get twisted up so much it's common for L and N insulation to creep back where the cable enters the charger and cause a short circuit.
If your surge protector thing has idiot lights, check them- the overcurrent may have cooked the protection

Sponsored Links
In the main the plug has a 3 amp fuse which will in the main rupture before taking out the 32 amp MCB/RCBO in the fuse box/consumer unit. But not always, likely you will find the flash was the fuse rupturing. And likely the power supply is shot.
I'm finding chargers, up to say 25VA, are tending to be wallwarts now and so many of them don't have any form of fuse other than the electronic components.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back