Is this legal under part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wired in a double socket as before we had an 4 way extension socket wire going under the carpet which could have been a danger. I have replaced this with a wall mounted double socket, wiring using 13 amp flex and fitted a 13 amp plug with a 5 amp fuse in it (as the sockets are just powering a TV).

Would this be legal under part P?

I have tested it with a plug socket tester and it shows no faults.

Sponsored Links
I have tested it with a plug socket tester and it shows no faults.
Oh, its fine then. [/sarcasm]

Plug in testers and neon screwdrivers do not constitute test devices.

No, its a complete bodge. And because you've fixed it to the house, yes, it is in violation of part P. Doesn't matter if its only plugged in.

Get the 4-way extension lead and fit it with a longer cable! Simple. Use the same size cable as before. Take a bit down B&Q so you get the right one. Most 4-ways are rewireable. Or buy one with a longer wire.

I have no pics at this stage. I know the testers are only very basic but it least confirms the connections are ok, I made sure they were all tight anyway before hand.

If I replace it with a four way would it then not be covered by part P? I have put the wire in plastic trunking to make it look neater.

Sponsored Links
I have put the wire in plastic trunking to make it look neater.
Even more "permenant" then!

A 4-way extension lead is pre-wired, and is meant for temporary (or not) wall hanging (where keyhole slots are present on the back). It is designed for purpose. What you've done sounds like you've done it from bits you had laying about in the shed.

But at the end of the day nobody knows about it, and its only your conscience. If you're happy with it, who are we to argue. ;)

The testers are unable to confirm that the cables are ok. Or that there are no high-resistance joints.

I was thinking more in case the house had to be sold.

Incidently how much would a spark charge to install 3 downlighters in the bathroom? I know its hard to say exactly but just roughly?

What I have done is a lot safer than how it was before with wires under the floor but the law probably dosn't see it like that.

3 downlighters - £150 plus or minus £100. Depends where you are in the country.

Depends on the rooms it is in or passes through. If it does not come from or to or through a kitchen or bathroom then it will not come under Part P which was your question.
This does not make the work right and comments by Steve are correct in your test methods do not conform with BS7671 and your semi-fixed extension lead could present danger but in general less likely than an extension lead below carpet.
As Spark123 says pictures would help.
Eric

OK thanks :). I am certain that all the connections were good, I made certain that all the flex was in etc.

I guess if I did fit a 4 way extension to it then it would be obvious to any new owner of the house that it was not a fixed wiring item.

Is there any test equipment I can buy that is not too expensive which would confirm to BS?

I live in Manchester if that makes any difference to the price of downlighters.

actually just got mine off fleabay - never used £400 very pleased.

yours smug :)

Depends on the rooms it is in or passes through. If it does not come from or to or through a kitchen or bathroom then it will not come under Part P
If it was done properly then provided it was not run through any special locations or kitchens it would not be nofiable under part P.

However the way the OP has done it you have not actually added to the circuit and thus afaict the method you have used doesn't come under any of the exceptions to notifiability and is therefore notifiable work.

Am I misunderstanding this situation?

If he is adding a socket outlet which is not in a special location, it isn't notifiable, surely?

If he is adding a socket outlet which is not in a special location, it isn't notifiable, surely?
If he did it properly I agree it would not be notifiable.

However what he has done is build essentially a fixed extension lead, I don't think that fits under any of the notifiability exceptions since he is not actually adding the socket to a circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back