Blue grease to bed brake pads in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellow that does my MOTs reckons he uses blue grease to bed the wagon's brake shoes because it doesn't cause sticking like coppaslip does.

Anyone using blue grease for their brakes ?

Sponsored Links
Granville white ceramic grease for me......doesn't rot the rubber slider boots either!
Blue grease is / was traditionally used for bearings exposed to water, if I recall - the sort of thing that boat trailers have to endure.
Any grease will really do for shoe to backplate contact, so long as its not overdone and liquifies...... personally I think Coppaslip belongs in the past - this ceramic stuff I use doesn't wash away anywhere near as fast.
John :)

A quick look online shows blue, red, and possibly green brake pad grease. . .
Just to be awkward John, I've got some boat trailer wheel grease here somewhere that is white. :)
Next time I do the pads I'm going to try that ceramic grease.

I remember a few years ago doing some work on outboard motors.....Mariner was one make and maybe the other was Mercury or something?
No matter, the specified grease for the bevel gears at the bottom was blue and waterproof but
I've no idea who made it.
It was fun testing those things.....a black bin full of water, check the coolant was circulating, put it into gear and stand back :confused:
This white ceramic ......whereas Coppaslip has disappeared from caliper brackets in the past, the ceramic does tend to stay put.

Sponsored Links
Never messed with outboards. Sounds like fun!
I think that trailer grease I have is American. They're big into their boats and so on.

Often wonder about special grease. Fair enough it's special, but how special? I've got a small tube of special grease which was recommended for the bottom gears on the brush cutter. It was eye wateringly expensive!

I know what you mean Dave.....the grease in a toothpaste tube for the Stihl bevel gears is absurdly expensive, but I suppose the good thing about the stuff is that the tube screws directly onto the grease point. I do use it, but only on stuff that's within warranty and then it's back to the moly grease.

That's the stuff John. The bloke I bought that machine off is a friend I've known for years. He had a garden machinery place, and recommended that. Said they used it on all the machines. It screws in on the Mac as well.
Lets put it this way, it hasn't used that much, and the gears are still OK!

I've got a tube of Mintex Ceretec grease to use up, then I'll get a 500g tub of ceramic grease - thanks folks!

I presume red rubber grease is the one to use on shocker bolts/nuts? I always coat the bolt shank before putting in the eye for easy get out and also coat bolt/nut after tightening to prevent rust. Red rubber grease presumably won't perish the rubber bushes.

Sponsored Links
Back