Blue Sh*t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After being advised by a builders merchant that Blue Grit was a cheap and brilliant substance to apply to my ceilings before plastering, I jumped at the idea and bought a tub. The ceilings were coated 48 hrs ago and this morning I began plastering.......room1 the fuc*ing ceiling bubbled..then fell. There was no bond at all for the plaster......so I scraped the blue sh*t off.......is this a regular issue with blue grit???

Sponsored Links
Used it over textured coated ceilings and ones that had been papered and polystyrene covered with no problem at all.What was on yours before gritting and what prep did you do ?
litl

As far as I'm aware it was just PB that had been poorly plastered as it was a garage. I've been converting it into a one bed flat for a mate....most stuff never done before but building is a hobby so took it on. I asked around for what is needed to skim the ceiling and was told BG was all I should use......but turned out to be a waste of bloody time! Thinking PVA would have been a better option

But it was also painted.....my fear is that it's egg shell......if so it's back to square one

Sponsored Links
if the ceiling was plastered and painted before you attempted to re plaster it , then it could have failed because the original painted ceiling did not have a mist coat applied before it was emulsioned over.
This would mean that the untreated plaster could not absorb the emulsion properly and would peel from the ceiling over time. It just so happens that the weight of the new plaster that you applied was enough to pull the paint from the ceiling.
Blue grit is fine if the paint on the wall/ceiling is sound , but it is only as good as the surface you are applying it to.
Scrape back until no more loose stuff will come off and then plaster as normal.

Cheers mate. I spoke with the lad I'm doing it for and he said it was painted with egg shell....something he failed to inform me of before starting! So I can either scrape away to the original PB or re-board.....both he isn't too happy with! Or.....scrape off the new plaster and paint it! Awesome

For the price of a few sheets of plasterboard it's quicker to board over and start plastering, problem free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back