Blue Spark/Flash when kettle switched on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went through to the kitchen today and boiled the kettle. Left it about 30 seconds as the water never boils to the desired temperature. Flicked the switch (on the kettle itself) to boil it again and there was a blue flash at the base of the kettle, and the kettle went dead. Checked all other electrical goods downstairs and all had went off.

Went to fuse box and the switches were set at the following position:-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On the second image, why were 2 switches at "off" (the middle switch and the right-hand switch)?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I pushed the middle switch up to "on", but both the upstairs and downstairs plug sockets remained off.

When I then also pushed the right-hand switch up to "on", to give:-

... both the downstairs and upstairs sockets came back to life.

Am I now safe to continue using the sockets both downstairs and upstairs, or is there anything I need to do on the main fuse box to ensure we're safe?

Also, is the kettle completely dead or does it simply need a new fuse?

Apologies if these seem like silly questions, I just don't want to take any chances at all with electrics.

Sponsored Links
Kettles are notorious for going faulty. Could be that the element has become damaged or that you have gotten water on the base. Both could trip the power. Check the fuse in the kettle.

If the power has been reinstated then it should be fine to use. Just do a functional check be pressing the yellow test button on the rcd to ensure it operates. If you use the kettle (after checking for obvious damage) be aware that it might trip the power again.

The 3rd trip basically is a more sensitive earth fault trip which supplies power to the other 2 basic trips to the left of it , in a majority of faults the third trip is most likely to go off, sometimes with none or one of the other trips to the left of it also, as in your case.

What happened was a fault developed in your kettle, this caused the MCB (the switch labled B32) to open to protect the cableing from being damaged. At the same time the RCD (the large switch to the right) detected an imbalance in the circuit and also tripped out.

The RCD supplies all the circuits on that bank so by just switching on the MCB will not bring power back.

If it is not tripping again, you should be safe but i would get the kettle looked at before you use it again. Was it wet when you got the "blue flash"

Sponsored Links
If the flash was from the kettle rather than the wall socket then the electrics elsewhere should be safe to use as before.

Unplug the kettle base though just in case its faulty, have a visual look for water damage and see if it smells of burning, if so best option may be to bin it.

If the power has been reinstated then it should be fine to use. Just do a functional check be pressing the yellow test button on the rcd to ensure it operates. If you use the kettle (after checking for obvious damage) be aware that it might trip the power again.

What should happen when I press the yellow button that would indicate that it is working correctly? (sound?)

Should the main switches on the fuse box (or any of the other switches on the fuse box) be on or off when I test the RCD switch?

+++++++++++++++++++++

The kettle base WAS wet when I checked after the blue flash occured, so looks like this may have been the problem. I'll check the fuse on the kettle as well.

+++++++++++++++++++++

As for the comments on the temperature of the water, I have literally no idea why the water doesn't "boil" as hot as e.g. hot water boiler at work or friends/families kettles; if I knew what was causing the issue I would be able to do something about it!

What should happen when I press the yellow button that would indicate that it is working correctly? (sound?)

It is a very basic test of the RCD. If you have any doubts about its operation then you need to get a sparky in to do proper tests. Sounds like its doing its job as it tripped due to your faulty kettle

Should the main switches on the fuse box (or any of the other switches on the fuse box) be on or off when I test the RCD switch?
It will make no difference for the 'test button' test.

The kettle base WAS wet when I checked after the blue flash occured, so looks like this may have been the problem. I'll check the fuse on the kettle as well.
Probably best to get a new one in any case. Maybe you'll then get boiling water ;)

It is a very basic test of the RCD. If you have any doubts about its operation then you need to get a sparky in to do proper tests. Sounds like its doing its job as it tripped due to your faulty kettle

Probably best to get a new one in any case. Maybe you'll then get boiling water ;)

Thanks for the response.

If its a basic test, is there a standard response it should give when I press the button (as I say, a sound, or light)?

We're going to get a new kettle, not trusting that old one even if it was an expensive job from John Lewis!

It will make no difference for the 'test button' test.
Am I missing something? What would you expect to happen when you pressed the test button when the entire CU had been isolated from power by means of the main switch?:)

Kind Regards, John.

If its a basic test, is there a standard response it should give when I press the button (as I say, a sound, or light)?

Keep the power on when you press the yellow test button it should trip the power to indicate that it is functional. You should be testing this button quarterly any way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back