bluetooh speaker setup for a tv set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to get some advice please, I've purchased a wireless speaker to enable my (elderly) grandmother to listen to the tv, without blowing away the neighbors (she is partially deaf and needs the set on almost full volume. She can't get on with the headphones that social services gave her. So I got a bluetooth speaker and a small sender device which plugs into the 3.5mm socket on the tv set (it is meant for ipods etc and has a small battery fitted so it is portable).
I had hoped to leave the sender unit plugged into the mains, but the booklet that came with it say it should only be connected for 2.5 hours, in order to charge the battery.

My question is , can I still use the sender unit and just leave it plugged in permanently..

If this is unwise, or unsafe, can someone suggest an alternative product or method?

Sponsored Links
Yes it will be perfectly safe. People can forget to unplug stuff so it has to be safe when being left on.

The downside might be that it may not have circuitry to stop the battery from charging when it is fully charged. By leaving it connected all the time you might therefore put premature wear on the batter but since you dont intend to use it on battery at all that should not be an issue.

Get an electronic plug in timer, set the time to come on & off. Then you can leave the unit permantly connected without any worry.

Sponsored Links
Although these are both good ideas , they will not work with the sender I have, as it doesn't transmit whilst the charging lead (usb) is connected.
I have returned the item now, but would be grateful if anyone can suggest an alternative approach. Preferably using the bluetooth speaker, as it will avoid cluttering the place up with cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back