bluetooth transmitter for TV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I bought a cheap samsung TU7000 TV for the spare room. It's only real purpose is to allow me to watch the NFL on a Sunday night once everyone else is in bed. Plan was to disappear off to the spare room, stick on a pair of bluetooth headphones so as not to disturb the rest of the house and enjoy a few hours of sport.

I'd assumed that the TV had a bluetooth transmitter (or whatever it is that sends out the signal to a pair of bluetooth headphones). Turns out it doesn't. Is there some sort of adapter I can get that plugs into the telly and allows me to listen on a set of bluetooth headphones? I've had a look on amazon - I can see plenty of adapters for use with a 3.5mm audio jack, but my TV doesn't have a 3.5mm audio out. It just has optical audio out, 2 hdmi slots and a usb slot. Amazon also has thes tiny little bluetooth things that you use for wireless computer peripherals like this:
1663430366528.png

If I plug one of these into the USB slot in my TV will it allow me to listen along on a bluetooth headset?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The spec for the TU7000 suggests it does have Bluetooth audio:
Screenshot_20220917-174152_Chrome.jpg
Do you have an exact model number?

It cost £280 after a price match. The AU7100 does, I think, have bluetooth audio and costs £30 more at £309.

Sponsored Links
Thank you! I'll try to return it tomorrow and swap it for the AU7100. If not, I'll get that device you linked. Thanks for your help!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
if you cant swop the tv would something like this be what you are looking for?
I'm afraid it's unlikely that a Bluetooth module like that would work.
Most smart TVs USB ports are only configured for storage, or maintenance purposes.
There is also very limited driver support on TV's and there would have to be a way to setup and configure the BT, which may not exist on a TV that didn't have it in the first place!
I'm not saying it's impossible, but I have just attempted it on my LG, and the TV complains of an "unsupported device"! :)

Edit:
The linked to dongle, does suggest that it can be used on TVs without BT support, so there could be more going on inside. However, it would still need the TV to be able to recognise the dongle as an audio device and send a compatible audio stream to the USB port - which seems a bit iffy to me.
It's also interesting that these devices only seem to appear on eBay!

Last edited:
With the right (free) kodi addon, you can watch plenty of live sports for free too. ;)

FE38665C-6844-4866-BE34-0D6DCA25B755.jpeg
BEB92BA1-D036-4355-8385-EA8C24099AE1.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back