bmw 318 cambelt or chain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
can someone please tell me if my 318 s reg 1999 has a cambelt or a chain.there is this belt at the front of the engine and it has cracks in it.i am worried that it might be the cambelt and might break and cause damge to my engine.
a friend said its an auxiliary belt and not a cambelt. if its an auxiliary belt then what does it do and what damage could it cause if it breaks.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's visible, it's highly unlikely its the cambelt (unless youve lost the covers).

hello
can someone please tell me if my 318 s reg 1999 has a cambelt or a chain.there is this belt at the front of the engine and it has cracks in it.i am worried that it might be the cambelt and might break and cause damge to my engine.
a friend said its an auxiliary belt and not a cambelt. if its an auxiliary belt then what does it do and what damage could it cause if it breaks.
many thanks

Fairly certain your engine M42 has chain driven valve gear.
The belt you can see is the ancillary belt, multi ribbed for grip and flexibility, if this broke it would be immediately apparent, as you would lose the electrical power from the alternator (light would come on and car still run) you would lose water circulation, temperature gauge would start climbing, you would lose power steering assistance, as this drives the power steering pump.
If you stopped the car immediately there would be little damage.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
if its a 99 318 model it will be the sohc m43 engine. still chain driven though.

the 318is used the m42 dohc engine and later the revised m44.

Back