BMW 320i touring idling problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do.
I have a 2001 BMW 320i touring 94,000 miles, and the problem I have that no fewer than 4 mechanics cannot diagnose, is that it doesn't idle right.almost as if petrol is not getting through properly.over 1000 rpm it drives like a dream.approaching junctions it will invariably stall if I have to stop and also stalls pulling away from a standing start.Does anyone know if this is a regular complaint for this model, or even better what the answer is? someone mentioned something about an "idling pin", could this need changed.
Obviously a few hundred down just for people looking at it, I'm loathe to fork out more to be told its OK, only for it to stall on my way out of the garage lol.Its automatic as well, before the wags question my clutch control.... ;) :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend a call to BBA-reman, I think....they can supply new idle control modules which could be your problem.
Very helpful over the phone too - your scenario is typical of a problem that gets unnecessary money chucked at it!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes it could be the idle control valve. Its a motor controlled flap which adjusts the airflow to maintain the idle speed. Often the symptom when they fail is the idle speed dropping and then picking up again when the anti-stall kicks in.
My experience with them was with the 98 3 series so it might be slightly different in your car.

Back