Board choice for small suspended bulkhead?

mgx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a 3m x 1m suspended bulkhead in a kitchen. Ceiling is concrete (not pre stressed). Bulkhead will house lights (6x 2-lamp recessed multiples) plus some led back lighting plus fire detector, etc. Not sure how far suspended, depends on the light fitting requirements. Not (yet) sure of the total weight of all of these (tbd).

I can use use some 40/50mm ceiling anchors to put a frame in place and put boards over it. I think 6 anchors can work (along two long 2'x2' batons, two ends + centre). The 40mm fixings appear to take ~12kg load at least from one manufacturer, so that's 72kg (max). I'd want to keep well south of that.

Does that sound the right way to do it? What type of board should I use for the faces of the bulkhead. 9.5mm plasterboard weighs ~6.3kg / m2, so ~20-25kg incl. sides of the bulkhead, so within the loading (depending on light fitting weight and the weight of the frame) ? Or should I use something else - MDF or finished/film faced plywood? If so, what thickness? Or more fixings?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back