Board joints showing.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been plastering a few years now. Its not my full time job, but I've done plenty of walls and ceilings. I'm pretty happy with the finish I get..... but one thing that plagues me a bit is the joints between boards showing up occasionally - usually where light hits an obtuse angle. I cant feel the joints and can't see them until its painted up - and usually only with a silk or vinyl finish.

Just wondering how you make sure they don't show up.... doesn't seem to matter how much a flatten in, they still show in the top coat.

20220711_161725.jpg

Sponsored Links
how many skim coats do you do?
what tape are you using?
tapered or square edge boards?
how big are the gaps in the board?

So you’re saying you would not be able to feel that joint in the picture with your fingertips?

Sponsored Links
I can feel it once I know its there..... just wondering what technique would eliminate them.... or is it just a case of flattening more at the joins? Wondering if cross toweling too early might cause it.......

I lay it on with a 14 inch stainless Marshall..... flatten with a 1200 st speedskim, repeat for 2nd coat. Then use the Marshall to flatten, then a wet trowel then finish with a 16 inch Nela Superflex. Sometimes ill polish it up with a refina plazi flex, but most times just leave it at the Nela stage.

I rarely use plastic or thin bladed trowels on boards.
superflex run over the high spots rather than flattening and taking the ‘fat’ off.
I use a 20” marshalltown gold for my final trowel on boards and ceilings.
It’s a good sign really as it means your joint is full of plaster and basically bulging at the seam.
You just need a stiffer blade to drag it back off.

You could also sponge or criss cross over the join with a wet 3” brush while you’re polishing up. That’ll do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back