Board over old backing plaster on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you're all keeping well.

I'm in the process off ripping out the bathroom and replacing everything in our old terraced house.

On the exterior wall, the old grey backing plaster came off with the tiles, so I've taken that wall back to brick and plan to board with cement tile backers.

The interior wall, separating us and next door, is a different story. Some of the backing plaster came off but the vast majority is still solid, and really doesn't want to come away. To avoid releasing huge amounts of dust, I was wondering if it's possible to board over the old backing plaster and skim? I've read that doing this can be risky, as the moisture in the adhesive can cause it to come away from the wall - has anyone here found this to be true? Mechanical fixings would probably be a nightmare, given the number of drywall screws normally needed.

I guess the alternative would be to batten the wall, making sure the fixings for the battens go deep enough to reach the brickwork, but this would mean bringing the walls out around 32mm.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Risky is a risk, but I'm sure with both adhesive and a few screws here and there will be fine, Just wait longer before you add skim to give the adhesive a real good shot at drying out. Don't even tape the joints. Just let if be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back