board prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
before skimming do you guys just scrim up or fill and scrim, on sq edge board.
and how many of you using tapered board? and whats you general prep for this?

cheers guys

Sponsored Links
I never use taper edge, it’s primarily designed for tape & fill which I will never do. Use square edge boards when skimming, taper edge just creates more work as you will have to fill out first.

Butt boards close (12.5mm) & apply reinforced fibre mesh scrim tape over the joints; float over the tape working plaster it well into the mash & rough fill the screw heads as you go.

rich on sq edge do you bother doing the joints first just before first coat or just as you go..and then second coat.
so just scrim, then two coats?

Sponsored Links
Where I am we can't get square edged boards so I only use Taper edged boards, I put a coat on then the scrim, then bring it out to the board I usually do all the joints like this and skim when the joints have firmed up...Works for me ;) If I am dot and dabbing then I will scrim and tape all my joints and angles with the board adhesive then the next day run over the joints with a roller with pva then skim the lot..

when skimming, taper edge just creates more work as you will have to fill out first.
i never fill the taper in first and i find that you get a better result with taper as it covers the scrim better

so you just scrim up TE and skim..do you ever find the joints a bit sunken
no never and i used to skim a couple hundred m2 of it a week, if you had a job where the partitioner hadent done his job proper "ie" boards are not straight or joins are not level you would sometimes see the scrim grin through on butt edge boards, ive seen this on quite a few sites, but with taper edge the scrim is sunk back a couple of mm looks a lot better, and all you would see is the Silhouette of the taper as the board dries out but it would be completely level

iv not used the TE borad much ,but on a job the other day thats what turned up, not knowing much about it i taped and filled the joints level with joint filler.
then skimmed.. so just wondering an i doing to much, on sq edge i just scrim and skim..
but i like the way TE hide the scrim

iv not used the TE borad much ,but on a job the other day thats what turned up, not knowing much about it i taped and filled the joints level with joint filler.
then skimmed.. so just wondering an i doing to much, on sq edge i just scrim and skim..
but i like the way TE hide the scrim
yes inside you are doing to much just tape and skim

For me, if its tapered or square I scrim the joints, skim over the scrim first then carry on as normal.

Steve, in those photos, why does the finish not go all the way to the top?

Steve, in those photos, why does the finish not go all the way to the top?
because the false ceiling will be going up, the site agent will tell you how high he wants the skim to go, in this case i think it was 100mm over the ceiling line, the 100mm will be enough to get the ceiling fixings on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back