Boarding a limestone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to plasterboard a VERY rough limestone wall in my loft conversion. For the most part I have (am going to) dot & dab it on but one section of wall i intend to fix timber battens and screw boards to this (because it is particularly uneven (+/- 50mm or more) and i need to bring the wall out 50mm anyway). I'm going to fix the battens with wall plugs but i'm having trouble drilling for them. If i drill into the limestone it just laughs back at me and if i try and fix into the mortar it just crumbles away when i tighten the screws. Anyone any tips/suggestions?? Could i chip out a small section of mortar where my screws are going and fix the plugs in with fresh mortar and tighten once thats cured?

Oh to live in a modern concrete block/brick built house!

Sponsored Links
I would put a coat of sand and cement on the wall to level it up. Mix it up 5 plastering sand 1 cement with some plasticiser. Then when it has gone off say 24 hours you can dot and dab over it no need for battens or drilling. Hope this is of help to you. :) S/S

Thanks SS - to be honest i had half considered doing this as there are a few places where the mortar has come out so i've been patching the holes with cement, wondered about doing the whole wall to level it all up?? Thanks for the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back