Boarding a sloping floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm planning on levelling the sloping floor in my study by laying a new, level, floor on top with T&G chipboard boarding. (My coffee cup keeps sliding off my desk)

The problem is the floor slopes down right to left as you enter the room, meaning that it'll leave a triangular gap in the entrance space.

Levelling the hallway the other side of the doorway is out of the question for various reasons, meaning I'll be left with an annoying step that people might stub their toes on. Plus T&G chipboard doesn't have the most elegant finished, smooth edge to it.

Pictures attached so you can see what I mean.

Any bright ideas how I could finish the gap neatly?

Thanks,

Derek

Sponsored Links
The proper way would be to take the flooring up and add firrings to the joists

Click > Firring This is for the flat roof but same idea

Thanks, sounds good, but unfortunately the existing floorboards disappear underneath a partition wall into the adjacent room, so realistically I'd have to cut the floorboards in half to fit any firring. It'll be easier to lay a new, flat floor on top of the existing floorboards, and give a smoother end result.

Regardless, it still wouldn't solve the issue of the step. Unless I could maybe use a firring batten or two to create a sloped finishing piece protecting the edge of the step?

Not ideal but could you start your firring pieces from the left hand side of the doorway. It gets rid of that little step at the expense of having a small section of floor just inside the door with a slight twist or fall to it. As It's unlikely you desk is right inside the door I'd assume your coffee would still be safe.

Sponsored Links
Sounds hopeful, thanks. I guess as I'll probably carpet on top, I could always run some carpet down over the top too, to smooth it off.

Any ideas where I'd get some firring battens? Never come across them in B&Q...

They're not availble off the shelf, :( , they are always cut on the job as every floor is different. You will find that you also have to "feather out " you ply or whatever you are using as a floor covering and I can't deny that it's a tedious job .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back