Slope in chipboard floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new chipboard subfloor over existing joists done a few months ago. This is a ground floor in an extension, which was built about 35 years ago, adjacent to a main house. I am planning to put a new engineered wood floor over 5mm wood fibre underlay (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wood-Fibre-Laminate+Wood-Flooring-Underlay---10-03m2-Pack/p/215589). However, I’ve noticed an 8mm drop across two boards. This is shown in pic. 1. This drop is consistent along the chipboard, i.e. if I put another spirit level perpendicular to the one in the photo it is levelled. I already have tiles in adjacent rooms, so I am also limited in height (as per pic.1).

What is the best option to bring the floor to the level before laying engineered wood? I’m considering a few options:

1. Build up a slope with up to three layers of thin 2mm underlay (https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-acoustic-polyolefin-foam-underlay-20m/4720r) and wood fibre boards on top of that. This means, to the right of the spirit level, there would be two layers of 5mm boards, and a mix of 2mm foam and fibre boards on top where the spirit level is. My favourite option (seems straightforward and also cheapest) but would this give me any issues, such as bouncy floor?

2. Laying plywood over chipboards. I could try and form a slope in plywood before fixing it to compensate for the slope. I would then put 5mm underlay on top of that all over the floor.

3. Laying plywood to the right of spirit level and filling the slope with a self-levelling compound. This is my least favourite option – seems a bit messy (I’m not sure about using compound directly over chipboards) and if anything goes wrong it can be difficult to rectify.

Attachments

• Pic. 1.jpg
    Pic. 1.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Really if it's flat I'd probably leave well alone. Trying to take out a zero to 8mm slope won't be easy to do with any solid build up materials and you risk creating voids beneath your engineered floor which can lead to creaking. If you really need to level this out a layer of SLC which allows a feather edge would be a far better solution. You really need one of the flooring guys (like @dazlight) to advise on exact product, though

In situations like that I have stapled cardboard to the floor first just too even things out, like contours on a map, each one getting bigger until I am relatively happy.

Thank you all for input, sorry for a late response. The slope was across the room, but not along the room. Something like a chute. The engineered wood manufacturer recommends flatness within 3mm per 2m. I had a drop of 8mm.

I ended up using plywood. I bought 3.6mm, 5mm and 9mm plywood and planed as required down to approx. 1mm. I then used 9mm for the rest of the room. This seemed to work. The floor is stable and levelled.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I think you confused flat with level, does not need to be level .

It was level/slope/level (as per this crude profile). For me the entire floor was neither level nor flat but I might be wrong. Either way, my preference is to have flat and level floor, just a personal thing. It’s done now but thanks anyway.

Attachments

• Profile.png
    Profile.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 67

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back