Solid wood floor over two surfaces at two levels!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you guys can help.

My kitchen has been extended. Half of the kitchen floor is floor boarded and the other half (the extension) is concrete.

I wasn’t aware of this until I pulled up the cheap laminate flooring that was already laid.

However, I pulled it up so’s I could lay a new solid wood floor called, easiklip. Unfortunately, the floor boards are lower than the concrete! It wasn’t noticeable before because the cheap laminate flooring must have bent to the level of the floor.

The concrete is higher over a distance of 1 metre by 1cm! Sloping over the distance, each side, either side of the slope is level!

The new flooring is 18mm thick and wont give. It acts like a seesaw over the slope! I’ve tried to bring the level of the floor boards up to the level of the concrete by using a 5mm thick underlay but this is still not enough!

Self leveling compound isn’t an option because the kitchen units feet sit directly on the floor boards and on the concrete over the distance of the kitchen. If you get what I mean!

Can I use two layers of the 5mm thick underlay?

I’m sure I’m not the only person to have come across the problem before any ideas on how to get around it. If there is already a thread with the answer, please direct me to it.

Any offers of advice would be greatly appreciated.

V

Sponsored Links
the easiest way would be to take the legs off the units as they should be screwed to the wall then screed the whole floor with a flexi screed and level it up that way

I appreciate the suggestion GHF.

Unfortunately, the worktops are granite and I don’t think the screws alone will take the weight. I did consider some type of jacking device under the units to allow me to remove the legs, or at least raise them, in order to let me put the flooring under them. Thinking the weight of the worktops would hold the floor down.

However, because of the length of the run of kitchen units this wouldn’t really be practical.

Would two layers of the 5mm underlay be ill advised?

Any other suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

V

First of all you need to create one type of underfloor, you now have tow: floorboards and concrete.
IMHO best way forward - and tackling both problems - is to board over the concrete with a thicker sheet-material and to use a thinner sheet material over the floorboards. (Plywood would be best)
Then you can use 3mm foam underlayment for sound-insulation and install your new floor floating.

Sponsored Links
WouldYouLike,

That sounds like a very good option. Thanks for the link too.

After consideration, i'm thinking of using a thicker board (Plywood Board) over the floorboards to bring the level up to the concrete and a thinner board, possibly (Hard Board), over the whole area including the Plywood Board to make the floor level. Similar to your suggestion.

I will use a DPM to cover the concreted area only, and a 3mm foam underlay on top of the whole area of Hard Board ready for the solid wood flooring.

Does this sound okay? I'm trying to avoid bringing the floor level any higher than is nessassery in order to make it level. This is because of the thickness of the solid wood flooring 18mm, and not wanting too large a step into the room!

If you can see a problem with my proposals, please let me know!

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back