Boarding a wall, any experience with Marmox or similar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Currently battening a wall for the shower area because the wall is so uneven its ridiculous so I'm levelling it out with spacers behind the battens.

I'm looking into buying Marmox waterproof boards and build the wall from and tile on top of, From what I can gather they're a foam board with a cement coating, would these be suitable? as they'll be placed on the battens and screwed in using their washers and screws to hold into place or is there a cheaper way of doing it. Do I need both reinforcing joint tape and waterproof tape or can i just use the waterproof tape?
I've worked out for 1 wall its going to cost around £100 with the boards, tape, screws and washers.

Sponsored Links
I used Marmox boards in my bathroom I had stripped the old tiles on cement off and was left with bare brick, I used the board bonded to the wall to get the same thickness as the plaster above.
Marmox do not recommend this but it worked fine for me.
The only thing I would say is if fitting to battens do not use the thinnest board it is quite flexible I had to use the thin one to get the right thickness and found I needed more support than they advise. (I got away with it by making extra holes and pumping Sticks like s*** through into the void!) Using the thicker stuff and fitting to battens you should have no trouble, easy to cut and nice to work with, I did use the tape they advise.

Great stuff mate thanks, did you buy both the reinforcing tape (like microfibre stuff) or the waterproof stuff (thick stuff and expensive) or both?

As I recall it was rather like normal plasterboard tape the stuff I used, if you are tiling it will be pretty waterproof any way was my thinking.

Sponsored Links
Bit late but would it be cheaper (or even possible) to overboard first with 6mm plasterboard then mechanically fix a thinner marmox to the pboard. That would surely give the required strength?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back