Boarding floor and rafters - air circulation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We've moved in to a house with clay tiles fixed on via mortar and - naturally enough, I guess - no felting. This means that the loft has got super-dusty over the years.

We're going to board the loft floor, and because of the dust, the plan is also to board the rafters, as a way of controlling the dust. We'll also add in some insulation between the rafter boards and the tiles/mortar to help with the house's heat retention, but I could do with a spot of advice about the following:

1) Is there much of a risk of messing with the airflow in the roof by adding rafter boards and getting damp/mould etc up there?

2) The house is about 100 years old and the loft floor joists aren't super-deep. I'd guestimate around 4-5in (100mmish), but I need to check. Is there any reason NOT to pack in a good 200-300mm of insulation there? Does it need to be left unpacked to insulate better (more air, etc etc)? I ask because I'm not sure how much to buy. The loft's around 9m by 9m.

Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pointers, folks.

We're building up the rafters so that when I board across them, very little of the 200mm of insulation will be compressed, because I know that the air in the insulation is mostly what makes it work (just didn't think it through enough).

I'm definitely not going down the plasterboard route either -- I'll be seeking out some breathable membrane, I reckon.

Looking forward to getting it all finished!

Cheers
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back