Covering Rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to turn my loft space into a clean enclosed space on a budget.

I've boarded the floors and now looking to cover rafters to keep out dust or cobwebs/insects.

In my previous house I used plasterboard but this was awkward with the trusses/joists and cost a bit.

I've had thoughts of using polythene, carpet, cloth, hardboard, etc.

I've decided to use large sheets of clear polythene plastic and staple them to the rafters. I'M NOT DOING THIS FOR INSULATION OR PUTTING ANY INSULATION IN THE RAFTER SPACE.

Can anyone see any problems with this - condensation running down, etc?
Or suggest a better alternative?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddy

Do you have any other suggestions of 'breathable membrane' - from a local store maybe - B&Q, Wickes, etc? Just checking all my options.

I'd ideally want something that reflects a bit of light so that's it's not so dark.

Cheers.

No it needs to be breathable or the roof will suffer condensation problems. I think Tyvek breathable membrane is light grey in colour but is pretty pricey. Doubt you'll get it from one of the sheds. Will be cheaper online or from a builders merchant. Not sure about any others tbh, reflecting light isn't one of their requirements. YBS Insulation do a grey one I think.

The condensation issue is not cosmetic but a build-up of moisture will cause the timbers to get wet and eventually decay as a result.

Sponsored Links
Really appreciate the advise. I'll look around for different prices and check local builders merchants.

Finally, what would you suggest using to attach them to the rafters - nail/staples as suggested and then what could be used to seal the overlaps?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back