Lining a roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1920's semi has a large roof space with insulation between the ceiling joists covered with flooring grade chip board. The roof tiles have no felt beneath them but do have plentyof old dusty torching which falls off and makes anything stored in the roof very dirty. I would like to line the inside of the sloping roof with something rigid that can be painted to keep things clean up there. I don't think I need to insulate between the rafters as the roof is already insulated at ceiling level and I don't want to spend too much. I'm thinking of simply stapling polythene sheeting onto the joists to act as a vapour barrier, then attaching either oil tempered hardboard or plaster board to form a rigid lining.

Is there anything I need to think about or any better way of doing it and any fors and againsts re hardboard or plaster board?

Sponsored Links
any non permeable membrane fixed to the underside (inside) of the rafters is a no-no. if you have a roof leak, you may not know about it until some very nasty fungus starts eating away at the roof timbers.
it was suggested on another post, fixing brown paper to the rafters to prevent debris from falling down, as this will still alert you to any leaks.

Odd Job Man said:
Is there anything I need to think about or any better way of doing it and any fors and againsts re hardboard or plaster board?
Under my roof rafters I have 8' x 4' sheet of pegboards in my loft area and never has any problem and it does give ventilation at the same time. I fixed it with the copper staple & gun
pegboard.jpg

Thanks for the advice - I can see the problem with a non-permeable membrane trapping any moisture up there where it can't be seen. Presumably that sort of lining is ok whwre you have felt directly under the tiles as in more modern houses. Peg board sounds good although I would think it would still let some dust through. I'm thinking of permeable building paper stapled to the inside of the rafters with maybe peg board on that. Is there any other rigid sheet material thats also permeable and that does not cost a lot?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back