Boarding Garage loft for storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I know this probably been asked before and I have read a few of the threads on here, but they seem to be different to mine.

I have a a loft above my single garage. The roof is made of the Fink type roof truss at 600mm centres made with timbers 70mm x 35mm. The span distance is 4.9m.

I would like to board this for storage, nothing will be too heavy on it's own, but just worried about the total weight. There is enough height to stand up in this space, so would like to be able to walk up there to get to the stored items.

I was thinking of adding a length of 2x4 across the middle of the span under the bottom chords using joist hangers on both gable walls to provide more strength. would this be ok or is there a better way?
I'll only be walking on the central section.

I prefer to over engineer things so none of this may be necessary for the storage I need! :)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Ads

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back