Boarding garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all just after some advice. I am planning to renovate my garage. This is attached to my house with single skin walls, there is no cavity or insulation.

I wish to board the walls with osb2 and was wondering to build a frame and connect the frame to the walls or can I just Hatton straight to the wall and board.

There are no signs of damp and I do not plan to insulate.

Do I need to add barrier protection or not.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When I say renovating, I mean, make it smarter with a work bench shelves sink etc. not going to be part of the house or lived in. Just don't want to chance the wood getting damp in years to come

If it were me and I was intending to use as a workshop, I would consider insulating it. If you are to build a stud wall, it does not need to be directly fixed to the existing wall, providing it is secured by being fixed on both head and sole plate.
If you are going to fix timber sheets, it would be wise to get the width measurement of these and from there you can work out your starting stud and your centres. This will then prevent unnecessary cuts to the sheets.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, for the advice. So although the wall is single skin providing, I fix at top and bottom and use treated timbers there should be no need for extra measure to extend its life

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back