Boarding Loft Canvas Opinion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Out of interest, if you were to board out your loft with joists and OSB boards, would you measure and cut everything inside or outside the loft.

I've heard a few different views on this. It's more practical to cut boards / joists etc once in the loft space but of course this leaves sawdust everywhere...

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Totally personal choice, have done both depending on what the loft is like to work in. Outside better ventilated and less dust ends up in the house.
Depending on the loft hatch size you may not get full boards up there anyway without cutting

Also depends on where you get your boards from.
Our wood at work is delivered uncut. But we have a wall saw.

If buying from b&q it's easier to get it cut for free and easier to get it home with a car.

My loft hatch is big, but not big enough for 8x4's
I have cut stuff in the loft but it generates a lot of dust

Thanks... My biggest concern was perhaps the sawdust being very easy to catch alight... Can always hover up the worst after but the dust may find it's way into other spaces. We have down lights with guards so unless dust gets behind those somehow should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Cut with jigsaw and attatch Hoover to back. Use chipboard rather than osb.

Probably cheaper and easier to use 400x600x18mm chipboard, possibly t+g. Mine went down nice and quick, and could be lifted through the hatch on my own just.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back