Boarding loft over new insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if I'm asking a question which is covered elsewhere, but I've seen different ways of doing this.

My loft is about to have some free insulation installed. It has very minimal insulation at the moment, practically none. I presume the installers will be using the recommended 270mm depth of new insulation.

How do I board over this ? I've read about installing battens on top of the joists, either raising the joists themselves (i.e. parallel), or perpendicular to the joists. Obviously the new insulation is going to be well above the existing joists (it's a 1970 house).

I am planning to get someone else to do this for me, but I would like to have some confidence that they're doing it in a good way.

I want the boarding just for storage, not for regular use of the loft, and it'll just be the central area.

Thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
perpendicular, 270mm minus your existing joist depth. The timber centres will depend on the size of loft boards/panels you are using. 400mm centres is the norm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back