Boarding out the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am looking at boarding out the loft for some storage and possibly a bean bag/futon so I have somewhere to go and study a couple of times a week out of the way.

I am also routing some new cables and pipework through the loft, along with increasing the insulation, so am considering cross jointing it with new 3"x2" (same as what is in there already).

The loft has a supporting wall across its width so I don't think strength will be a major issue for what I need, however there are some wooden 'struts' coming down from the rafters to the floor joists. There are 3 rows of 5 on each side of the loft using wood of about 25mmx15mm. other than this, there is the usual (300x75mm?) wooden pearlings going side ways.

What I want to know if are these to stop the roof spreading or additional support for the loft joists? And which I am putting in new timbers, should I replace these with 3x2" as well?

Also, would I better just fastening the new timbers to the existing (once levelled as they run out by 30mm in some places) or using joist hangers and fastening to the brick walls (still fastening to existing joists?) so if I ever need to put anything extra up there I have at leas partially provisioned for it?

TIA

Craig

Sponsored Links
I think the struts coming down from the rafters are there to keep the ceiling up (or the loft floor) please someone correct me if i'm wrong. So by adding new timbers across the existing, you are merely adding to the weight they support.

I know that if you want to convert your loft correctly you insert hefty steel, supported on the inside coarse of brick and fit new floor joists to them, so the steel takes the weight and not the ceiling joists.

Not the ideal answer i know, hopefully you will get a definate reply from someone who's sure!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back