boarding/skimming in new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

ok, my timber framed house :rolleyes: which obviously has plasterboard walls everywhere will benefit from a new kitchen very shortly.
However, when trying to take the old tiles off they are pulling some of the board off too.
So, i think i'll just cut away the whole plasterboard to the top of the tiles and renew, unless you have a better idea? Tiling over existing is not really an option tbh.
Also, the walls above the tiles are painted with silk. Whats the best way to prep for re-skimming? Just pva or something more/different?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
It depends how bad the damage is; it can be patched prior to skimming & re-tiling but if the boards are extensively damaged, re-boarding is probably the easiest & quickest. If the boards have been previously plastered, it may be easier to remove & replace them complete as replacing just the lower half will give different levels which your plasterer will have to make up before he skims the whole wall. The cut edge must be supported & the easiest way to do this is to cut & join the boards along the horizontal noggins between the vertical studs; be aware that the noggins may be staggered! If joining along the noggin is not possible, stick 100mm or so wide lengths of plasterboard on the back of the existing wall boards between the studs so you end up with a support level with the back of the board around 50mm wide. Let these dry out thoroughly overnight & then you can stick the new ½ boards to the front of these the next day, screwing the rest of the boards to the studwork as normal; fill & tape the joins before skimming.

2 methods for the silk emulsion;
• I always score the surface thoroughly with an old scraper & very stiff wire brush & then apply a bonding coat 1:3 PVA/water & leave to dry thoroughly for 24 hours. PVA again with 1:5 PVA/water & skim just as it goes tacky; I always use a roller & you must be careful not to over brush it.
• Another method which I personally have not used is to mix a handful of cement in with the PVA bonding coat; BRUSH this on, leave to dry for 24 hours & then proceed as above with a roller PVA coat just before skimming.

Thanks Richard,
the re-doing of the boards seems completely freasibly as most of it will be behind the new kitchen units anyway and what bit of them show and join the existing boards above them will be tiled over as well so i'll really only be skimming onto existing boards (covered in silk) without the need for proper taping/jointing.

I'll be skimming myself, as i've done countless times, however, having gleaned so much good info from this forum, i thought i'd ask the question.
If i'd not asked, i would have roughed up the surface of the silk with maybe a sanding blaock, applied pva, then skimmed when tacky as i've done this before and not had a problem. However, i'm not a pro and value the advice of such tradesman like yourself, even though there is always more than one way to skin a cat, as they say, its good to know what you pro's do.

Thanks again mate, much appreciated.

Another method which I personally have not used is to mix a handful of cement in with the PVA bonding coat; BRUSH this on, leave to dry for 24 hours & then proceed as above with a roller PVA coat just before skimming.

This is similar to method 2, Rich'd is on about, but minus the cement,,,,just good quality pva/bonding coat slurry brushed on, and allowed to set/dry overnight. Gives a strong key for thin, float and set plastering over emulsioned/painted ceilings and walls that are in sound condition, Internal use only,,,, and also, "don't" use it on old/flaky distemper type painted surfaces without prep.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back