Soon to start plastering...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am doing my bathroom and am soon to start plaster boarding the walls,

I am putting up square edge 12.5mm plasterboard on the ceiling. On the other walls I am putting moisture resistant plasterboard.

Having never done this before, can someone briefly outline what steps I need to do baring these points in mind:

- I will be skimming the ceiling and using joint tape on the joints at the ceiling boards. Do I apply the tape first, followed by plaster finish for the gaps in between the joints
Once skimmed, what is best to apply to the plasterboard to help prevent moisture damage, prior to painting

- I am tiling onto the moisture resistant board on the walls. Can I put tile adhesive straight on to the MR board for tiling, or do I need to do any prep? What tile adhesive is best to use in bathrooms?

Do I need any beads for the corners where the ceiling meets the side wall, and where each side wall meets each other? If so, which ones are most suitable? Bearing min mind only the ceiling is being skimmed, everywhere else is tiles.

Lastly, do I need to put tape on the corner joints (ceiling/wall and wall/wall) if I am tiling, or can I just skim the ceiling and tile up the walls, finishing corners off with sealant or grout?
Many thanks for your help

mark

Sponsored Links
Put the scrim on first, and use it in the internal angles.

You can use sealant/mastic after tiling.

As for tiling specifics, can't help you.

Sponsored Links
- I am tiling onto the moisture resistant board on the walls. Can I put tile adhesive straight on to the MR board for tiling, or do I need to do any prep?

You will need some prep on your MR boards before tiling. Wouldn't put the adhesive straight on.
From seeing other posts, I think you put a primer on first and don't skim them.
Note - the primer should not be pva, as it's water soluble.

Maybe ask in the tiling forum for advised prep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back